Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automatically update due dates on cards due to Board / Project start date?

Hi - I think Butler can help me do this but I'm needing some more help with a walkthrough.

I use Trello boards for client projects, and for the first 30 days we have specific cards with specific due dates dependant on the start date and I'm looking for a way to automate this.

Example;

Project starts on 1st January

First 3 cards are

Onboarding call - Day 2 of project

Get access to Google drive - Day 3 of project

Send logins for software - Day 4 of the project

I'm looking for an automation that can change the due dates on those cards to 2nd, 3rd and 4th January retrospectively.

How best can I do this?

1 answer

Hi @Jackie Muscat ! It should be possible, but it may be a bit tricky to set up. You can create cascading rules with Butler automation so that when a date is set on a card, it will update the due date on another card or multiple cards. You would need to create a card called something like "Project Start Date" to be your sort of "trigger" card. When the due date is set on that card, it will start the process of updating due dates on all necessary cards.

You'll also need to relate cards together so Butler knows what cards need to be affected with the due date. One way to do this is by linking cards via the attachments. You'll also need to look at using Butler variables in order to copy the due date from one card to another. Butler doesn't allow for setting variables in the default due date, but you can achieve this using custom due dates. 

I do Trello consulting, so happy to offer a free 30 mins call if you'd like to share screens together? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristjan Geir Mathiesen - Origo for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend...

552 views 19 20
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you