Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Labels based on Custom Fields

Olly Smart January 28, 2021

Is there an easy way to assign a Label to a card based on a variable Custom Field.

For example if I had a Custom Field with 5 Options, can I create 5 labels and get a Label assigned to the card based on the answer I provide to the Custom Field

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

@Olly Smart this Trellinator function would add a label when a custom field value is set, removing all other labels:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/1195a8e284a37fd2627bd6ccf4fb3750

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Olly Smart ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I think you can create set of rules with Butler, something like this:

when custom field "Test Dropdown" is set to "Option 1" by anyone, add the green label to the card
Olly Smart January 28, 2021

Hi there, thanks for responding ...  yes I considered that option but was hoping for something more efficient so that I can change the Option and the label will change too .. without having to add rules to remove the old label(s) before adding the new label.. 

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2021

I understand. I looked through the Power-Ups, but I didn't find anything, that would help you. That doesn't mean there's no way, but I'm sorry, I don't see any right now.

What exactly is your use case? Maybe we will be able to find completely different way. Thank you.

Olly Smart January 29, 2021

I have 13 options (they represent different workstreams) and a card can move from one to another.

When I select one of those options I wanted a label to follow that.

It seems that this may not be easily possible (other than to create a rule which removes the other 12 labels each time I select a new value)

So for now I can simply type the option value(s) in the search bar for the relevant option(s) in order to filter the view to only see those cards.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2021

Hi @Olly Smart ,

thank you. So, if there is the possibility to create custom filter based on the custom field value, you won't need the labels. But AFAIK this is still not possible :-(.

So, yes, the best way I can think of is to use the search as you mentioned. Maybe you can prepare your searches and store them as bookmarks to your browser.

Or you can try the Trellinator function, as @Iain Dooley suggested.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events