Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign specific individuals to cards based on the card's tag

Bobby_Grant_Jr May 18, 2020

Hey everyone!

Is there any way to have a Trello board set up to assign cards to specific individuals based on the card's tag?

i.e. the card is tagged "Designer" so the minute the "Designer" Custom Field is set, it will assign that user to all of the cards on the board with the "Designer" tag?

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2020

@Bobby_Grant_Jr so you're saying you want to have a card called "Designer" with a label "Designer" and when the custom field "Designer" is set on that card, then assign the member named in the field to all other cards on the board with the "Designer" label?

I'm sure I'm not understanding you correctly because this doesn't make much sense :) Can you elaborate a bit more on how you want this to work?

Bobby_Grant_Jr May 19, 2020

So our trello board has a bunch of cards.  Each card has various labels and tags like the picture below (Exclude "Day 1") which is also the role of a corresponding team member.

Capture.PNG

Separate from that, I have created custom fields with the same titles as the tags. like such:

Capture1.PNG

This board is our template which we use to create a board for each client.  When we create a new board I have to assign one of our multiple task groups of employees to the new board.

So, given the variable nature, when I assign a group, I have a rule that sets each custom field = to the username of the individual who holds that title within the assigned group:

When custom field "Selected Group" is set to "1" by anyone, set custom field "Performance Coach" to "JohnDoe00".

Obviously when it does that, it sets that custom field for the entire board. My question is, how can i write a rule that says something to the effect of:

When custom field "Performance Coach" is set, assign member "Performance Coach"(the custom field value) to cards tagged with "Green Performance Coach" tag.

Is that better?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2020

@Bobby_Grant_Jr Okay I don't know why you're using a custom field for that, wouldn't it be cleaner to have a list called "Roles" with cards in it named "Performance Coach" and so on, then to assume that role the person adds themselves as a member to the card?

To the point about then automatically adding that member to all cards labelled with that role name, regardless of which mechanism you use to designate the role assignment, Butler no longer has a "for each card with label XYZ" action. This Trellinator function would do what you said (but using my modified mechanism of using member assignment to designate role assigment):

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/3fb1c9bb6a7dccde6163d26cf7a90b9e

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Bobby_Grant_Jr May 20, 2020

Thank you. But no the goal is to make it such that the user does not have to add themselves.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2020

@Bobby_Grant_Jr In this model they only add themselves to one card and then they’re automatically added to the rest.

what is the difference between adding yourself as a member to a card and entering a member name into a custom field? It is the same amount of effort, avoids typos and means you don’t clutter the board up with custom fields that are required only for a very small subset of cards 

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2020

Yes! You can use Butler to do this.

Just create a rule that says when the custom field is set to "designer"....

image.png

... then assign that member to the card!

image.png

Does this help?

Bobby_Grant_Jr May 18, 2020

Thank you for responding! it's very helpful but how do I assign the member only to the cards with the tag?

Paula Driscoll
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2024

this is what I'n trying to do now - did you find a solution to this? I use wrike at the moment and this is very easy. I don't fancy manually assigning every task to a user every time i begin work on a new project

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2024

I think im still confused what folks are trying to do here... can you record a screen share showing what you do in Wrike and then i can explain how to do it in Trello?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events