It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

As of 2019 has Trello filtering function changed?

I am testing Trello and have a paid business class account.  I have read in several user boards and in the Trello documentation about using Trello's Filter feature.  This appears to be exactly the functionality I need.  However, the menu on my board provides only a search option.  Has the filter functionality changed?  Or am I looking in the wrong place? 

2 answers

0 votes
marc Community Leader Apr 25, 2019

@Paul Olsen  Once you open a board in Trello, on the top left you'll see the search field.  The board filtering is at the top right, under "Show Menu" -> "Filter Cards".

Hope this helps.

@Marc thanks for the response.  On my board, both functions the one at the top and also the one in the menu) are called “search”.   It dawns on me this could be because I only have one board at this time.  

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 25, 2019

@Paul Olsen The filter is in the board menu:

https://help.trello.com/article/787-filtering-cards-on-a-board

You can also hit the "f" keyboard shortcut to show the filter. Can you please share a screenshot of your menu where you're seeing "Search" on the right?

In my original post I mentioned that I only found "Search" in the menu.  This may have been a temporary situation, as the term has now changed to "Search Cards".  When I hit "f" as proposed in the helpful response above, this "Search Cards" function appears to be the tool invoked. 

I have also noticed that some users access my board still see the term "Filter."  They have free accounts and I have a business class account.   

At this point I view this as a curiosity . . . I am able to do what is needed, and the "Search Cards" function appears to perform actions attributed to the "Filter" function.  

Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 28, 2019

@Paul Olsen this looks like an interface experiment. The Trello team often test whether or not a particular feature has a positive or negative effect on use by rolling it out to a selection (presumably random) of users and observing the result somehow against some metrics. I don't work for Trello and don't know precisely how this works, but I do know that lots of people post confused questions to the community whenever they do this :)

Anyway, I'd say this is purely a wording change in the interface designed to see whether or not the word "Search" results in more people figuring out how filtering works. The functionality is, I assume, identical since you've pointed out that you can get the result you're after using this menu item.

Like Paul Olsen likes this

@Iain Dooley This seems like reasonable explanation and along similar lines I was thinking, especially since others on my team were seeing the standard filter language.  

FWIW - If the alternatives function differently, I think they should have dissimilar names.  If they ask my feedback, that’s what I’d tell them.  I don’t know how to tell them.  But that, I suppose, is a different post. 

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,628 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you