Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add due date to card created by email

monica_avila April 2, 2024

I have already searched this forum and found other Trello users have asked this before, but it seems the previous answer of "you can accomplish this with the Butler bot" is no longer supported. So how do I accomplish this?

An email sent to Trello creates the card on the board.

The email contains the due date.

How do I populate a custom "due date" field with the due date from the email? 

Right now, the only way I am able to add a Due Date checkbox is to arbitrarily add 3 days, one week, or some other random day count to the date the card was created. And of course this hardly ever matched the REAL due date listed in the card's email. This is causing confusion for our users who depend on these cards to keep track of work in progress and due dates. HELP, PLEASE!

1 answer

2 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

Hi @monica_avila ! Just to clarify, are you wanting to populate a custom date field, or the default due date field? If it's the latter, you can use the below rule:

when anyone enters a card description containing a date, set due on the date

If it's a custom field, you can use wildcards to achieve this:

when the description of a card contains "Due Date: {*}", set custom field "Date" to "{wildcard1}"
For this to work, each email would need to follow the same format (e.g. the date is always preceded by "Due Date: ").

monica_avila April 3, 2024

Thanks for trying to answer my question! Perhaps I did not follow your steps correctly but neither suggestion worked for me. This is what I would like to happen:

Trello Date.jpgHow do I get the 2024-06-01 that is being sent to the card via email to appear in the Due date checkbox of the card? 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2024

@monica_avila can you share what you tried? This is the rule that should do what you want:

image.png

monica_avila April 3, 2024

OMG THANK YOU!!!!! Seeing WHERE you added this rule changed everything. I was not trying to create the trigger from the Date tab 🤦‍♀️ I was trying to set the trigger in the Card Content tab. I am embarrassed to admit how much time I wasted on this. THANKS, HANNAH!!!!!

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2024

You're welcome!!😄 Easy to miss! Glad that's working for you now 😊

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events