Add a story to any swim lane

Dawn Elliott July 13, 2021

Has there been a recent change to Team Managed projects Kanban Board set-up? It used to be that you could have the ability to 'create an issue' in any swim lane you'd set-up. It now seems to be locked to allow only and issue to start in the 'to do' column.

This was how the 'company managed projects' used to be, so we've always used team managed and have several earlier boards where this is working as we need. But for the life of me now can't seem to change/configure it to allow creation of an issue in any lane on a new board I'm setting up...

Can anyone advise?

3 answers

2 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2021

Hi @Dawn Elliott

I remember there has been some discussions around this topic this week in Atlassian Community.

Testing on my Cloud instance I can confirm in a team-managed project you can create an issue in any of the columns. Looking at the history afterwards so see a somewhat "magical" transition (nothing I setup) - looks like a special feature of team-managed projects...

grafik.png

In a freshly created team-managed project I had to create one issue in first column (TO DO) - after that I was offered to create a new one, again, in which column I like - even in "DONE".

If this is a feature at all or something that works accidentally all the time I cannot say for sure ;)

Regards,
Daniel

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

You have never been able to create an issue in a column other than the one that contains the first status in the workflow.

You can create inside specfic swimlanes, but only when the swimlane has a clear definition Jira knows how to work with.  If you set swimlanes to stories for example, then you can create in a swimlane because the swimlane is the parent story for the subtask you are going to create.

Thanks Nic, none the wiser I'm afraid. Like I said I've got several other boards set-up and working fine, without much by way of additional configurations. So that is definately not something we've had to do before.

Any tips on where I'd start? Is it in the automation/rules area?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

I'd start with a look at exactly how you have defined the swimlanes in the boards that are working right, then compare that with the swimlanes in the boards that are not working.

That should tell us something, but if they look the same, then yes, Automation is the next place to look, as it could well be doing "on issue create, do something to an issue that moves it to another swimlane"

Hi Nic,

I get what you are saying, but nope nothing set in automation rules that would do that in this case. Can't see any differences between existing boards and new one from this week. Having been setting up boards for last few years its the first time come unstuck with this. I really suspect something has fundamentally changed with the Jira standard set-up for managed teams configuration that now either needs overwriting in settings somewhere or isn't working/bug. At a loss... :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2021

I'm a bit stuck on exactly what you are looking for, and I can't think how to try to replicate it.   For a working project, could you tell us what type the project is, what type of board it is using, how the swimlanes are configured and how you are creating an issue that automatically lands in the swimlane you select?

0 votes
Dawn Elliott July 19, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

Thanks, you are spot on! We found the same thing on Friday with the new board in question. It seems that when you create your first story on the board, suddenly the 'create issue' function appears across all swim lanes. So now you have to create one story in order for it to be activated.

I've just set-up another board for another project and replicated same thing, so that is now explained ;)

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2021

Awesome! Happy it now works for you.

Suggest an answer