Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a good looking way to notify slack as a subscriber for private pages behind 2FA?

Robert Valentine June 23, 2022

Is there a good looking way to notify slack as a subscriber for private pages behind 2FA?

So far the only method I've found is to use email notifications, and they look AWFUL in slack.

I'm still working on trying to get RSS to work, but our page uses SAML with 2FA so that's a bit of a challenge.

The integration is for admins of the page (team members) so that doesn't work as the links go to the wrong place.

Has anyone found any alternatives?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2022

Hi @Robert Valentine ,

There is an option to use Slack as a front-end consumer, like the email notifications and RSS feeds currently work. You do need to enable this on the page first! Once it's on, people viewing the page (past your 2FA/SAML auth-wall) can subscribe a Slack channel to notifications.

image.png

More details about this feature and instructions for setup are at this link .

Cheers,
Daniel

Robert Valentine June 27, 2022

Hi there,

It appears that my Private Status Page site does not have that option.

You'll note towards the bottom of the instructions you linked the following line.

"Note: This feature is only available for public pages."

Further note:

The issue isn't that Slack is 2FA

The issue is that the statuspage page is Private and the SAML uses 2FA

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2022

Ah yes - right you are. Apologies for my over-eagerness - although this might be worth having an internal discussion on if the page should continue to be behind an auth-wall. In the case that it does, one suggestion might be to use middleware like Zapier to parse the email notifications and then send them to Slack re-formatted.

Like Robert Valentine likes this
Robert Valentine June 28, 2022

In that case I'd probably set up something to catch the webhook and translate it for slack.

It's still not a good subscriber solution, as telling folks they need to set up their own middleman, or creating one that just happens to know how to direct things is not particularly awesome.

It does confirm that currently there doesn't seem to be a good solution at this time.

Thanks.

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
June 27, 2022

Hi @Robert Valentine ,

This is Darryl. I am here to help. 😃

Understand that you are trying to integrate a Private Page with your Slack channel to receive the notifications.

May I confirm with you is the capability offered by the native Slack App is sufficient for this requirement?

Kind regards,
Darryl Lee
Support Engineer, Atlassian

Sorry, I didn't use the correct term.

I was referring to the native Slack App when I said, "The integration is for admins of the page"

The problem with this one is that our company primarily communicates through slack, so customers (subscribers) wont be able to use those notifications as they link to the backend.

If there were an option to toggle the type of notifications to front-end it might work, but it would still be more ideal if someone could self-subscribe.

Thank you for clarifying.

Like Darryl Lee likes this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2022

Hi @Robert Valentine ,

Thanks for the further information.

I'm wondering is @Daniel Eads suggestion able to help you accomplish this objective?

Kind regards,
Darryl Lee
Support Engineer, Atlassian

Robert Valentine June 28, 2022

It confirms that right now there's not a good way to do what I'm looking for, I'm going to set up a reminder for a few days from now in-case someone knows something that hasn't chimed in, then mark it as the answer.

Like Darryl Lee likes this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2022

Thanks for the confirmation @Robert Valentine , hopefully there will be a workaround soon.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events