New feature: Slack notifications for Statuspage

statuspage-slack.png

We're excited to announce the release of a long-requested feature on Statuspage. Now visitors to your status page can subscribe to get notified in Slack when you report an incident or maintenance. The Slack option shows up alongside the existing subscription options for email and SMS:

statuspage-slack-subscribe.png

After approving the Slack app for their workspace, customers choose a channel for notifications. Then, when you report an incident, customers get notified right in Slack:

statuspage-slack-notification.png

Customers see additional notifications in Slack each time you update the status of your incident, so they can track its progress all the way to resolution. And if you have  component subscriptions enabled for your page, customers can fine-tune their preferences so they only get notified about the components they care about most.

Enabling Slack subscriptions for your status page

To enable the Slack subscriptions feature:

1. Log in to your team's Statuspage dashboard at https://manage.statuspage.io
  2. Select Subscribers from the left side menu
  3. Go to OptionsSettings and enable the Slack option
  4. Visit your status page to see the new feature enabled for your "Subscribe" button

Note: This feature is only available for public pages.

Usage tips

• We use your page's name and favicon image when posting to Slack. For best results, make sure your favicon is at least 72x72. You can update your favicon by going to Your pageCustomize page in your Statuspage dashboard.
  • If you've implemented custom CSS/HTML on your status page, make sure everything still looks good after you've enabled the Slack feature. 
  • To learn more, view the documentation for this feature.

What about the existing Slack Team Notifications integration?

If you're a Statuspage guru, you may know that we have an existing Slack integration called Statuspage Team Notifications that lets your team see an activity log in Slack about your own page. That integration still exists and is fully functional. You can think of this new feature as its public-facing counterpart.

We’d love your feedback as we develop new features in Statuspage. To provide input directly to our product team, please sign up here.

9 comments

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

We're getting complaints that the notification is almost 50% advert! I can't find any options to turn off the bits that appear below the "View all updates" button.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 090713.png

Like Pierre Martignon likes this
Bryan July 14, 2021

Hello,

I've asked my company to approve the Slack app for our workspace, but the security team had a concern about one of the permissions. Particularly the:

Send messages to channels @statuspage isn't a member of chat:write.public

permission. They wanted me to verify that this app will not message any user in any Slack channel. Can this be confirmed? Thanks!

Dave Parrish _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2021

Hey @Bryan smile The Statuspage app will only send messages to Slack channels where it has been explicitly granted permission to do so. As part of the setup flow for subscribing to notifications via Slack, you are prompted to choose a channel where you'd like to get notifications. The app is only able to post to that channel, not to arbitrary other channels. (Note, however, that you can subscribe a 2nd, 3rd, etc channel by going through the subscription flow again and choosing those channels explicitly.)

Hope this helps with the security concern! 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
mlovasco September 28, 2021

Is there a way to change the colors of the Slack posts?  All of our have the yellow side bar no matter the status.  We'd like Red=Outage, Green=Resolved, etc... Thanks.

omar alfonso rodriguez borja November 20, 2021

ola buen dia  saludo a mis amigos de barranquilla colombia y a todo el mundo mas a la iglesia cristiana que tiene n su parte en el cielo de DIOS 

Flow Team March 11, 2022

This notification does not include component status changes (e.g. component going from operational to degraded performance). Is there a plan to include that in the future?

Like James Parkin likes this
Flow Team May 4, 2022

Hi @Dave Parrish _Atlassian_

Thanks for adding this amazing feature.

Is there a way to be notified via Slack if a component status is change without creating an incident or a schedule maintenance? We currently use components but not incidents and change our component status frequently.

thanks,

-v-

Like James Parkin likes this
Robert Valentine October 25, 2022

Hey @Dave Parrish _Atlassian_ 

I'm wondering why this isn't supported for private status pages?
Re-implementing this will be a pain and it is a hugely useful feature!
I was excted in my tests when I was using a public page.

Like # people like this
Robert Valentine May 11, 2023

As a follow up since this was recently liked, our company put the implementation of this across the company on hold indefinitely mostly due to this.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events