Can audience-specific pages support a behind-login use case?

lkao October 30, 2020

I'm curious if either the Audience-specific pages or Private page features could accommodate having the statuspage pages within a subdomain of our own product's app. (ie login.acme.com/status - where our paid customers use our product to get to login.acme.com and work).

Maybe I should talk to our account rep but i have no idea who that person is.

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Campbell-Vincent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2020

Ikao -

This should be possible. Take note you're only able to use custom domains on Private/Audience Specific pages if you don't use SSO. If you do go down this route, you would need to add the domains(ie login.acme.com/status) as a CNAME record in your DNS provider with the values we provide. Once you set the correct records in your DNS provider, you should be able to add the custom domain in "Your page" > "Customize page and emails". 

If you run into any issues with this, you can reach out to support by creating a ticket here: https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/

Hope this helps!

lkao November 2, 2020

Thanks @Mark Campbell-Vincent !

While the logged-page doesn't require SSO by us (Sift), our customers' IT team might.

For example, if I worked at Salesforce and wanted to put Statuspage behind login.salesforce.com (like at mycompany.salesforce.com/mystatus), that seems possible per your example.

This would mean every customer across every instance could login and get access to this page, when they're logging in to Salesforce. One doesn't have to have SSO to login to Salesforce but many companies' IT teams do enforce this. For people who are at companies that force them to go through Okta (for example) to login to Salesforce, then Statuspage would not work? 

Mark Campbell-Vincent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2020

@lkao -

Just to clarify, you would need to own the hosted zone in your DNS provider in order to set this type of custom domain. For example, if your company owns the hosted zone "login.acme.com", you can set a CNAME record specifically for Statuspage. It can get complicated if you have an account under a company like Salesforce, but you don't technically have the ability to set a CNAME record under that domain(mycompany.salesforce.com/mystatus) since you don't own that hosted zone in a DNS provider.

Regarding SSO, the way you set up SSO for page viewers is by directly configuring Statuspage with your Idp(Okta). Having a product like Salesforce in the middle of your Idp and Statuspage may not be possible.

Overall, authenticating via SSO to access Statuspage(for page viewers) would hinder you from setting up a custom domain on Private and Audience specific pages. Also, you would need to set a CNAME record under the hosted zone that you own in your DNS provider.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events