It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sourcetree Push dialog does not show any branches

Git Pull dialog works fine.

However when I press the Push button, the Push dialog shows me an empty list of branches when I am expecting a list of branches available push_dialog.JPGto push

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

In my case it was caused by an older version of git (prior to 2.13.0) not understanding the format option to git branch command. Upgrading to Git 2.23.0 solved the problem.

I am running 3.2.6 and have the same issue. Steps:

1. created repository on
2. cloned repository to local machine to an empty folder
3. copied files into the newly created folder where the .git directory was created
4. using SourceTree, staged all of the files
5. entered commit comment and clicked the commit button (lower right)
6. tried to Push commited files

Result - the push dialog with no branches listed and just a blue spinny for-ever.

This worked for me:


I tried upgrading the Embedded Git used by SourceTree  

(Tools => Options => Git => Update Embedded Git)


Thanks for the link

Like illiaratkevych likes this

But now I get this error when I try to push:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks push -v --tags --set-upstream <repository-name> master:master
Pushing to<my-name>
fatal: '<my-name>' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.


Completed with errors, see above.


where <repository-name is the name of the repository I am trying to commit to and <my-name> is the name added to the bitbucket url . Both exist at

I've tried both system git (updated to 2.23) and embedded git (2.21) and neither solved the problem for me. I'm having the problem with both ssh and file system origin repos.

Like Maddalena Barlotti likes this

I discovered a way to "fix" the problem that is probably also a clue for the bug.

If I set my new branch to track an existing remote branch (doesn't matter which branch) then immediately change it back to track "None", it then shows up in the push dialog.

Like # people like this

You're right, I have the same issue and upgrading Git didn't work, but the trick of tracking/untracking branches did it! Thanks a lot!

The trick of tracking/untracking branches worked for me also.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

1,217 views 0 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you