Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install SourceTree to C:\Program Files

Kay Zumbusch May 1, 2017

As the installation method for SourceTree was changed from MSI to Squirrel with SourceTree 1.10, the installation is stored in %LocalAppData%. Is there a way to install SourceTree 1.10 or later to C:\Program Files for all users to use the same installation?

On my workstations software restriction policies are active which block execution of any application location in folders writeable by regular users including %AppDataLocal%. All applications on these workstations are installed with an administrative acount and properly installed to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).

In my oppinion installing SourceTree to %AppDataLocal% is the worst way to install an application. Regular users should never be able to install any application. That's the way malware especially ransom ware infects Windows computer. And the folder is called "AppData" and not "Application".

Regards

Kay Zumbusch

2 answers

1 vote
yehuday October 4, 2018

If you install sourcetree through chocolatey it's get installed on Program Files.

`choco install sourcetree`

Check this out

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2017

Hi Kay, changing the location of the SourceTree installer is not currently possible. We have a feature request to change the location of the installer to C:\Program Files, and you can find it at SRCTREEWIN-7082. If you'd like you can also write a comment, watch the ticket for updates or vote for it. 

I hope this answers your question, Kay.

Regards,

Ana

Kay Zumbusch May 2, 2017

Thanks for the info. I'll stick to the latest 1.9 version for now and keep an eye on the ticket. At least providing the option to install in an Enterprise environment is considered useful. I came across multiple projects in the last few months where the authors just permanently block these requests.

pcraven August 28, 2017

This isn't a workable solution at all for shared computers. This is a crazy situation.

Trevor Ranson September 21, 2017

I, like most other users in my development team are now moving away from using sourcetree to using the GIT integration within our IDE.

The performance of sourcetree on windows is simply atrocious, the AppDataLocal install directory for sourcetree version 2, and the ropey at best proxy server support within the application have made it basically pointless for enterprise use.

Very poor show indeed Atlassian.

curtisawhite77 October 8, 2017

I'm with Trevor. The Mac version is still usable for now but getting worse. After 2 days of it running it gets so slow you have to restart it. The Windows version has gotten unusable. To have a completely different interface depending on which OS you use is ridiculous. Then to force an installation location on us makes it not even usable. I have a small C drive and cannot afford to install everything there. I need to install things on my D drive. Since I cannot set the location now for Sourcetree I have to uninstall it and stop using it. You are going to drive people away if you continue to force unwanted features on them.

bgf777 January 22, 2018

The linked feature request is actually a link to a bug that was resolved as "not a bug".

I'm having terrible install problems, mentioned here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Every-time-I-launch-sourctree-it-acts-like-it-s-re-installing/qaq-p/708749.

Every time I launch it seems to decompress again, and when it comes up sourcetree's view of my repo does not agree with git status.

Like Constantin Coester likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events