Which database is better in the production either MSSQL server or MySQL?

kumar January 23, 2014

Dear Atlassian Group,

We are currently using Jira in our comapnay where we use HSQL in the production which is not recommended in the production by you, So I want to move the HSQL database to MSSQL Server or MYSQL.I have couple of questions regarding this as follows;

1) Which database is better in the production either MSSQL server or MySQL?

2) We are running Jira in linux right now.Can i connect JirA with MSSQL Server or MYSQL from another server?

Thanks in advance

S.Indirakumar

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2014

1. You should use whatever database is best supported and understood within your organisation.

Given a free choice, then MySQL definitely. But the most important thing is how well you can support the database internally.

2. Where you connect from is not really that important. You can run Jira on different servers and operating systems and connect it to any database you want. I've seen Jira running on Windows connected to a PostGreSQL server on Linux, and Jira running on CentOS connected to MS-SQL. (Heck, if you want to, run Jira on VMS hooked up to Oracle on another node in the cluster). Doesn't matter as long as the servers can talk to each other.

0 votes
kumar January 27, 2014

Thanks Nic Brough and Rodrigo Girardi Adami for your reply.

Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2014

you're welcome Kumar :)

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2014

In addition to Nic very good answers, I would say to check the known issues for both databases and weigth the the good and bad point for each. This should also help. But the most important point, as Nic said, is that you need to use the one that you can administrate well and/or have a DBA to help.

Know issues for MYSQL

Know issues for MSSQL

Regards,

Rodrigo

Daniel Ray August 31, 2015

These links are for Confluence and the original question was for JIRA. Are there similar links for JIRA?

Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2015

Hi Daniel, Yes, there are links for JIRA specifically, although many of the issues in those database are shared among the Atlassian flagship apps. Known issues for MYSQL JIRA: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Known+Issues+for+MySQL Known issues for MSSQL JIRA: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Known+Issues+For+SQL+Server I hope these helps! Cheers, Rodrigo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events