Safely removal of shadow users

Until now, we have used Jira Internal Directory for user management of all users.

I did now add a Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups), and given that the highest priority.

This directory contain all company users. The usernames are the same as in the internal directory.

Now I want to remove all internal users that now have became shadow duplicates of those in the new Microsoft AD Directory.

However, I don't want to remove/disable the internal directory, because that contain all customer users, admin user, and some inbox accounts. Those shall remain internal.

I suppose I need to run a delete query on the db, and I need advise in order to do a safe removal.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks! As I thought.

I think I need to do the db delete. Otherwise the effect may be that internal accounts turns active again, if corresponding AD accounts are removed or changed.

This widget could not be displayed.
Janet Albion Atlassian Team Jan 01, 2013

Hi Peter,

Since the username in the AD is the same as in the Internal Directory, I would say that it is safe to ignore the duplicate users in the internal. If you would like to remove them in the db manually, note that deleting from the DB is not really recommended nor supported.

If you really like to remove the shadow user manually from the database, test it first in the staging environment and make sure to backup the database.

Generally, the tables that you would need to look into are:

• cwd_users
  • cwd_memberships
  • cwd_directory

eg:

delete from cwd_user where user_name='user' and directory_id=<internal_directory_id>;

delete from cwd_membership where child_name='user' and directory_id=<internal_directory_id>;

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Statuspage

What are your best incident management tips and stories? #HugOps

👋Community members! Downtime happens. And great incident response takes a village. Teams like Support, Dev, SRE, Ops, IT, and Marketing have to come together to resolve the problem while keep...

64 views 2 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you