Remaining hours changing to N/A while logging time.

Hi,

I don't put estimates on my tickets, as I usually have no clue how long they will take. When I log work (by typing 'w'), I put my time into the Worked field, and because there is no estimate, this auto-fills "Remaining estimate" with "N/A". If I try to submit that, it tells me "Remaining estimate is invalid." I have to change "Remaining estimate" to 0 to submit the work log. I don't think a field should ever be auto-filled with an invalid value. Wouldn't a default of 0 be more appropriate?

Thanks,

2 answers

0 vote

Remaining estimate becomes "N/A" when there is no original estimate on the story. That is a way of forcing the user to put a valid remaining estimate I guess.

Defaulting to 0 will make it a lot easier for people to ignore the estimates field and that is probably why that is not done.

If you are using Tempo; try switching "Remaining estimate is optional" in the Tempo configuration. This will set the remaining estimate to 0h instead of n/a.

@M.D. Klapwijk I want to do just that but cannot locate where you can switch fields to optional anywhere in Administration for Tempo. Can you provide some information on how to navigate to where the configuration can be changed? 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

78 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you