New JIRA 6.0.2 on Windows Server 2012 fails at setup

Dave Russell June 16, 2013
Hi guys, I'd really like to try out JIRA but I'm failing at the first hurdle - I can't get it running on my server. I have a Windows 2012 Server, running SQL Server.
I've tried both 32-bit and 64-bit installers and had the same issue in them both.
It *seems* to install OK, and I get the "Which database would you like to use" page. I point it at my localhost SQL Server and it's fine - "Test Connection" works. It then hangs on the "This might take a minute" page.....forever.....Even after it seems to have created the database (I can see a bunch of the tables if I look in SQL Mgmt Studio). In my logfiles I get a ton of stuff that is all completely useless to me.
1. There appears to be an error in the web app, which then redirects to an error page....and the same website error occurs on the error page. INFO: org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter INFO: loaded (conf ok) Jun 17, 2013 11:19:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException
followed by
Jun 17, 2013 11:19:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve custom SEVERE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=404, location=/404page.jsp] org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.lang.NullPointerException
2. Lots of these: "2013-06-17 11:19:20,575 http-bio-8080-exec-4 ERROR [atlassian.plugin.webresource.PluginResourceLocatorImpl] Error loading resource "jira.webresources:empty-js". Resource is not a Web Resource Module 2013-06-17 11:19:20,575 http-bio-8080-exec-4 ERROR [atlassian.plugin.webresource.PluginResourceLocatorImpl] Error loading resource "com.atlassian.auiplugin:aui-experimental-reset". Resource is not a Web Resource Module" ...where the webresource.xxxxxxx changes each time.

I left everything as default on the install - local-service user, run-as-service, port 8080.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Russell June 23, 2013
Yeah well. No help here, so I gave up and I'm trying YouTrack instead. That installed with no problems on the same box and is running nicely, integrated with TeamCity and Jabber.
0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2013

Check if the user running JIRA has all permissions on the JIRA Home and JIRA Install directories.

Dave Russell June 17, 2013
As I said, everything is left as default on the installer - It runs the service as SYSTEM and SYSTEM has full permissions on all the JIRA directories.

Suggest an answer