Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing for development versus production environments

Tony
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 4, 2014

Our academic institution has purchased licensing for jira and have currently been using it in a development environment. We want to roll it out into a production environment. I am hoping you can help me answer two questions about this:

1. Are there different licensing rules for development environments versus production environments?

2. Do we need separate licenses and separate identifiers for these different environments, or are we limited only by the number of user licenses that we have purchased?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2014

Sort of yes and no...

If you have Cloud, there is no difference between dev and live.  You need to buy licences for each system and in the right bands for the numbers of users - you're paying for the usage of a managed system, and the licencing doesn't care what you're using it for.  That's quite easy...

For SERVER version though, it's nicer.  You buy PRODUCTION licences.  You use that on your Production server.  But then, you get DEVELOPMENT licences that you can use many times, for development, testing, failover and so-on (This does not apply for the $10 starter licences though).

0 votes
Eric S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2014

Hi Tony,

Just to compliment what Nick and Benito said.

Commercial and academic license owners (excludes Starter licenses, free licenses or cloud services) are entitled to free developer licenses for use in cold standby, development or testing servers. The licenses are perpetual with access to software updates during the same maintenance period as the associated commercial/academic license.

The billing or technical contact can generate a developer key by performing the following steps:

1. Log in to My Atlassian
2. Click 'View Developer License' and review the license agreement
3. Click 'View' to agree.

Once the license key is presented, copy and paste it into your development server. You may generate more than one dev key if running multiple pre-production, e.g. development, testing, and QA, servers. These licenses are not for production use, which would violate Atlassian's Customer Agreement.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Eric

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2014

Just to complete Nic's answer, you can generate this Development license from your purchased license at your http://my.atlassian.com account. Basically, it is a second license that you can use for development environments when using JIRA server hosted.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events