Issue Type Scheme's default issue type not applying

Steven Lam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

I have set for one of the issue type schemes the default issue type to be a sub-task, however, when creating a sub-task the default is not applied.

Once the correct sub-task is selected JIRA then caches that selection and will remember it until JIRA is restarted.

It would be nice to be able to have a default Issue type as well as a separate default for sub-tasks (a whole other request in itself).

There was a point in time where this was functional in our environment, however, it is no longer.

1 answer

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

You can only create sub-task issue types from a parent issue; the only way around this I know of is CSV import.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Sub-Task#CreatingaSub-Task-Creatingasub-task

I do, however, agree with you about being able to select which sub-task issue type is default for an issue type scheme.

Steven Lam
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

My issue is when creating the sub-task from the parent that the default is not applied.

This problem is being investigated by Atlassian Support, I will follow-up with their results.

Currently, in their test environment, it behaves as intended and have not replicated my problem as of yet.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

What I'm saying is that I agree that being able to select which sub-task issue type is default would be nice - as far as I know, though, it's not currently part of JIRA functionality. Maybe they should update the process to throw an error when you attempt to select a sub-task issue type as the default?

Suggest an answer