Customising "Remaining" time display for a Sprint in Planning Mode

James Long
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2013

We'd like to extend the "Remaining" time display which shows below Sprints while in Planning Mode. When we are planning a sprint, each User Story in the sprint already has a number of sub-tasks for different disciplines as noted in a custom field "Discipline" which can be Production, Design, Art, Code, etc, and these sub-tasks all have initial estimates set.

By default, the Sprint planner shows a single "Remaining" total of all subtask estimates in the Sprint, at the foot of that Sprint panel. This isn't much use, and nor is planning Sprints by Story Points since we have a small multi-disciplined team and we need to see individual totals of time estimates per discipline when planning a Sprint, against actual time available per discipline during that Sprint.

As such we would also like to be able to enter holidays per user, and have each user set to a discpline (or at least time available per discipline) so that we can plan Sprints against actual available man-hours in each discipline.

I appreciate this isn't the norm for Sprint planning but we are expected to plan and track tasks in more detail than I understand from the typical Scrum process. Currently I'm having to do this in Excel by duplicating all of the info that's in Jira & Greenhopper (while evaluating Jira & Greenhopper) so that I can get totals per discipline.

e.g.

Code: 10d 2h (10d available)

Art: 1w 2d 4h (1w available)

Animation: 2w 3d 1h (3w available)

etc.

1 answer

0 votes
YC Lian May 24, 2013

So that we can plan Sprints against actual available man-hours in each discipline.

Currently I'm having to do this in Excel by duplicating all of the info that's in Jira & Greenhopper (while evaluating Jira & Greenhopper) so that I can get totals per discipline.

I'm just curious, with and without (more guessing) the Spreadsheets, do you see how different things are?

Suggest an answer