Chrome extension does not install

Manuel Caballero October 30, 2012

Hi

I use the Canary version (24.0.1312.0) of Google Chrome and I'm not able to install the Bonfire extension.

I tried with the drag'n'drop method but I still get the yellow banner explaining me Chrome doesn't allow extension installation from this website, the browser downloads again the .crx file from local folder.

Can you help me please ?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted

I followed Norman's advice and added to the chrome shortcut, and it works now, I can add extentions seemlessly. Enjoy that trick !

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Then you should mark his answer as correct, not your own.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Thank you Florin for caring. It is alright. In this case, I prefer the amiable words that Manual gave me about finding some answers in the comments below. Also, Manual did go back and retest the second solution. That was admirable that he did that. My personal reaction was a good belly laugh and then I voted up his answer.

If it still bothers you, vote up my comment like Manual did, and I will get more good karma than just a simple answer would have given me.

gdavidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Good to see you got it working. Technically Chrome Canary isn't a supported browser for Bonfire, as it is an untested nightly build.

From https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/getting-involved/dev-channel:

"Canary builds are the bleeding edge. Released daily, this build has not been tested or used, it's released as soon as it's built. [...] there's no guarantee that it will even run in some cases"

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Didi you try enabling the developer mode before dropping the plugin.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Here is a youtube presentation that someone else on answers found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf9mthhfzpY

Thank you again for your help, but it's exactly what I did, it still doesn't work ! The developper mode is on.

I managed to install it on the regular version of chrome by the way... but I need it on Canary

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Sorry to hear that it failed on Canary.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Cannot tell if this is completely related to canary or not.

chrome.exe --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install

The claim is you can now drag and drop.

The other one that I found is to open the url

open the url chrome://chrome/extensions/

drag and drop on this page

I do not have canary version, so I cannot test these out.

Thank you ! It did the trick !

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

which one or both. Let other people know what you did since this will be a common question that will be repeating for awhile.

Obviously adding the --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install parameter to the shortcut ! The other solution just opens the regular extension tab...

Thanks again that what nice of you !

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Your welcome. The url solution claims the restriction is removed. If you or someone else trys it and it works, let us know. I prefer the url approach since I will leave that link in my favorites and I do not need to remember to check/update my program link when chrome gets updated. Also, I do not lose the new security features except when I explicitly want to.

0 votes
FagnerF
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Hi Manuel,

Sometimes Chrome shows this message. Although I'd recommend to download manually the Chrome Bonfire Extension here and, then check out in Bonfire Plugins for your Browser how to install it.

Also you can either check out Installing Bonfire extension in Chrome documentation.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Thank you for your answer, but it's exactly what I explained in my post, I tried again to be sure, but still stuck...