Can you please confirm if JIRA uses client JRE?

Mercer Confluence Admin July 14, 2014

We are using JIRA 5.2.1 version and JRE 1.6u43 is installed on every users machine. Soon JRE 1.7u60 is going to deploy to all desktops.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2014

Depends on how you've installed and configured it. If you've used one of the later Jira installers on some operating systems, then it's installed it's own Java environment and your system update is not going to affect it.

Have a look at the system information page, that should help you determine what you've installed.

i have installed JIRA on server and it is showing the update of Java which is there on server in system info. Will it have any affect if i remove my java from local machine?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2014

Only the version on the server matters. It's a web-application, so your client machine is only using the browser to access it (except for the screen-shot function, if you're using that)

Can you please advise me how to update JRE version from 1.6 to 1.7 in JIRA?

Thank you so much for you assistance!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2014

I'd not try to update it. I'd install 1.7 on the server, and then change the setartup scripts to point at the new install. I've done it a couple of times by changing the setenv.sh file which sets the environment, you include the JAVA_HOME environment variable

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events