Are my post functions slowing down my transition time?

Melvin Vasquez August 11, 2014

I have one transition with 22 post functions:

- Copy values to ephemerals

- Parsing text

- Set values as a function of other fields

- Math calculations

It takes 20 seconds to go to the next status...

My App server is a Linux Red Hat with 4GB, 4 CPUs.

My DB is a SQLServer R2 2008, 16 GB and 4 CPUs

The other transitions takes like 4 seconds, which is a very good response time for us.

1 answer

2 votes
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014

Yes. Post function slows down transition time. You can have the experiment - try to add something like Thread.sleep(10000) - and your transition will be delayed for 10 seconds.

I would recommend to you to recreate your business logic to run those routines in the separate thread. So transition will just start the method and it will continue instantly. Please note that the changes will be done only after the transition execution and you cannot control the exact time - so you should handle multithreading issues by yourself.

I have strong idea that only small set of your postfunctions take a lot of time. I would recommend to include into your plugin one additional postfunction that will just log the time and put it before and after each custom postfunction - so you will get complete information on the bottlenecks.

Please note that undepending on the amount of processor cores - your postfunctions will be executed subsequently one by one - so without moving the logic into separate thread you will not speed up the process itself

Suggest an answer