Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opsgenie to Opsgenie Integration - Deduplication is not mirrored

Ian Taylor October 4, 2022

I've recently set up and integration between two Opsgenie accounts and all is working as expected apart from the alert deduplication.

The first instance of an alert is being created within the secondary account, however on receipt of further alerts with a matching alias the count is increasing on the primary account but not the secondary.

No changes have been made to the alias on either account.

The only changes made to the alert on the secondary account are to the priority, adding tags and properties.  

Any assistance with this is much appreciated

1 answer

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2022

Hi @Ian Taylor ,

"However on receipt of further alerts with a matching alias the count is increasing on the primary account but not the secondary." - If the secondary instance is not deduplicating, then what exactly is happening? 

If the alerts are not deduplicating, I'd have to assume:

1 - The secondary instance is creating another alert that is not deduplicating. This would mean the alias of the second alert does not match the initial one.

2 - No second alert is being created or deduplicated in the second instance. I'd suggest reviewing your Logs tab to troubleshoot. This Article should help with that: Integration not creating Opsgenie alert

3 - Maybe the second alert is deduplicating under another alert?

The Logs tab should hopefully provide better insight into what is happening than I can. If you do review the Logs tab, and do not see any requests received for the second alert, then I have to assume Opsgenie is not responsible for the issue - and there might be some slight misconfiguration on whatever system is sending alerts to your second Opsgenie instance.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2022

Hi @Ian Taylor ,

I don't think deduplication tracking in the second instance is possible with Opsgenie << >> Opsgenie. I didn't realize initially your ask was related to this type of integration. 

Just did some testing on my end, and found the same results:

ogog1.jpgogog2.jpg

I believe the Opsgenie integration is only designed to mirror the creation of an alert. I don't believe it has the functionality to mirror deduplicating an alert - because this happens after creation. Same would go for other updates on the alert like adjusting the priority of one of the instances - it does not update in the other:

ogog3.jpgogog4.jpg

It is possible to define IF/THEN actions related to updating the priority, messages, etc. - but only to add a note (or a few other actions). Nothing directly related to the updating the same field specifically.

Due to this, I have to assume that it's simply just a lack of functionality at this time Opsgenie does not deduplicate the alert in instance two, or allow for even a note to be added.

Ian Taylor October 4, 2022

Thank you for looking into this Nick, I'll check the integration options.  Even a note would help.

Do you know if there is a way to turn deduplication off on the primary account?  This may force all instances through to the secondary account.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2022

Deduplication is dependent on the alias field. You can edit what data parses here (or does not) under the integration's Advanced tab

Note this tab is only available on the standalone Opsgenie Standard and Enterprise plans, or the JSM/O Premium and Enterprise plans though.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events