Integration not creating Opsgenie alert

Part of this article provides the instructions based on the Advanced Integration Settings which is only available at the Standard and Enterprise subscription plan.

For the users who are the global Owner and Admin of Opsgenie, this article is to guide you on the way to troubleshooting the issue that configuring an Opsgenie integration or 3rd-party source (e.g. Email, Grafana, etc.), and no alerts are being created. This article provides troubleshooting steps to ensure alerts are created in Opsgenie. This article will use Email integration as an example.

🎬 Scenario

Each Opsgenie integration provides Action Filters to determine what creates an alert, closes an alert, adds a note, etc.

This Email integration’s Create Alert action has been adjusted to create alerts only when the string Issue is in the subject of an email.

image1.png

An Ignore alert action is also configured to ignore creating alerts when the string Ignore is in the subject of the email.

image2.png

After the configuration is done, an email has been sent to the email address provided by this Email Integration, but there seems no Opsgenie Alert is created.

📘 Instructions

The best place to check why an Opsgenie alert was not created is under the Settings menu >> Logs tab. Opsgenie will track any request received (for 13 days).

You can search for the following (more details about searching in the logs, please find this document):

• Entries such as Email received for integration for Email integration specifically, or Received integration request, Skipping incomingData, no matching actions found, Started to execute action:Ignore, Alert is received with same alias. Count is increased to X, etc.

• Name of integration, e.g. Email-<name_of_email_integration>.

• By timestamp to narrow down the pool of events.

If there is no entry in the Logs indicating Opsgenie has received the email/data in the designated time frame, please troubleshoot this issue at the 3rd-party source side to examine the reason why the requests/emails aren’t making it to Opsgenie.

Common logs entries

If the log entry Email received for integration or Received integration request in the designated time frame and the contents match the data sent from the 3rd-party source, that means Opsgenie did receive this email/data.

Please move forward to search for the next log entry:

• The log entry suggests Skipping incomingData, no matching actions found, please expand it and examine it in the _parseData object to check if the field-value pairs of this incoming data match any of the Create Alert rules of the target integration.
    Solution:
    Adjust at the 3rd-party source where this data/email was sent to fit this Action Filter or adjust this Action Filter to match this data structure accordingly.
    For example:
    This email doesn’t contain the string Issue in the Email Subject that is defined in the Create Alert rule’s Action Filter and this data doesn’t match any other rules. That’s the root cause Opsgenie skipped processing this data.
    image3.png

• The log entry suggests Started to execute action: Ignore, please expand it and examine it in the _parseData object to check if the field-value pairs of this incoming data match the Action Filter of the Ignore rule of the target integration.
    Solution:
    Adjust at the 3rd-party source where this data/email was sent to NOT fit this Action Filter of the Ignore rule or adjust this Action Filter to NOT match this data structure accordingly.
    For example:
    This email does contain the string Ignore in the Email Subject that is defined in the Ignore rule’s Action Filter. That’s the root cause Opsgenie executed to action to ignore this alert creation.
    image4.png

• The log entry suggests Started to execute action: Create Alert, but there’s another entry Alert is received with same alias. Count is increased to X coming after, which means there is already an Opsegnie Alert been created with the same Alias as this data being parsed and that alert is still in the Open state. To avoid alert duplication and notification fatigue, Opsgenie de-duplicates this alert creation.
    Solution:
    Please close the existing Opsgenie alert first and send out the data from the 3rd-party source again.
    For example:
    This email does match the Action Filter of the Create Alert action instead of matching the Ignore action, but there is already an Opsgenie Alert with the same Alias existing and it is in the Open state, so Opsgenie de-duplicates this alert creation.
    image5.png

📚 Related articles

In order to ensure that we continue to provide useful content, please let us know if this Article is helpful (Thumbs Up/Down). Also, to help us improve, feel free to provide additional feedback (directly in the community).

3 comments

Wija MW September 26, 2022

I got an error

Can not execute alert action. There is no open alert with alias ...

I use match all alerts type in the create alert's filter.

Should not it match every data that coming?

I have checked my policy as well but I think there is nothing that blocking it.

Do you have any suggestion on what should I check?

Like • Darryl Lee likes this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2022

@Wija MW this looks like the incoming data matches a different rule.

Please reach out to Opsgenie Support for better assistance.

Daniel Slot
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2023

Hi Team,

I am trying to do some email integration troubleshooting in OpsGenie.
I learned by this page that the logs are the easiest way to do that.
Apparently my profile within our company, it does not show me the logs-page.
I helped myself by creating some sort of create-alert-rule for debugging purposes, with less restrictions than all other rules. But this approach is problematic as soon as I introduce close-alert-rules, that are always processed after the create-rules.

Is there another option to troubleshoot the integration?
Or is there a way to get access to the logs page without getting granted admin priviliges in our OpsGenie environment?

Thank you & BRgds,

Daniel

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events