Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can rotations in OpsGenie divert to other rotations?

David Meacock August 31, 2022

Let's say I have a Rotation A, filled with the following people:

Matt, Kim, James, Mary, Rowena

Now I want to start up a rotation B but I only have three engineers to stock it for now, Ashley, Bob, and Charlie. That's not enough for my liking, so in the fourth week of each rotation, I'd like to essentially delegate to Rotation A for any alerts on Rotation B.

This effectively means that Rotation B might end up looking something like:

Ash -> Bob -> Charlie -> Mary -> Ash -> Bob -> Charlie -> James -> etc

Is this even possible in OpsGenie? I note that you can have "Teams" as participants in rotations, but I suspect the end result of doing that would be _everyone_ in the team would be notified during that week if an alert was raised - and that's not what I want.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2022

Hi @David Meacock ,

I think that's possible, and I'll provide some suggestions below of the use case you mentioned, but it might require some unique configuration.

Let's say for the sake of this example:

Ash = User 1 
Bob = User 2
Charlie = User 3
Matt = User 4
Kim = User 5
James = User 6
Mary = User 7
Rowena = User 8

You could combine all of these users into one rotation, and add Users 1-3 multiples times in between User 4-8 with something like this:

rot1.jpg

Another option is breaking this into two rotations where:

Rotation A: Ash, Bob, Charlie

Rotation B: Matt, Kim, James, Mary, Rowena

and represent the "skipping" shifts with the option No one to account for something like: 

Ash -> Bob -> Charlie -> Mary -> Ash -> Bob -> Charlie -> James -> etc

Example:

rot2.jpgrot3.jpgrot4.jpg

Regardless, I think it's possible - but not the most ideal situation due to the skipping for Rot A >> B >> A >> etc. Hope that helps.

David Meacock September 4, 2022

Thanks Nick, unfortunately not quite what I'm after due to the overhead of having to manually enter everyone as individuals. If Rotation B was to change, I'd prefer this rotation to change with it rather than having to manually edit both. 

I'll take the answer to my original question as being "no" for now, while acknowledging there's some workarounds that can be done - thanks!

Like Nick H likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events