Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert deduplication and alert status updates

Kevin De Wolf March 29, 2021

Hello Atlassian Community,

We are looking into opsgenie to handle our alerts from multiple systems (mainly Azure) and have a question about alert deduplication.

When an alert is deduplicated, it increments the counter, which is really convenient to lower alert spam, but we are losing the additional information which that alert would send. Extra alerts usually mean that something has changed, and we don't want to lose that information.

How would we go about in catching that information?

We are currently adding certain fields as notes in the create to provide status updates, but maybe there are more convenient solutions (or maybe this should be a feature request as a possible optimization for opsgenie)

Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2021

Hi @Kevin De Wolf ,

Like you are currently doing, the best method is having a Note added each time the alert deduplicates, and include the additional data/fields through this approach.

Alert fields cannot be updated when an alert deduplicates. We do have an open feature request I'll add you to though! That ticket for reference is ALX-918; Update alert fields / content upon deduplication.

Since our tickets are not public, we'll reach out directly if/when there are any updates. Let us know if you have any other questions, issues, etc.

Kevin De Wolf March 29, 2021

Hello @Nick H 

Thanks for the quick and clear answer.

Good to know that we're on the right track, and I'm looking forward to hearing from ALX-918, as I'm sure this would add alot of added value.

Neil Benton June 2, 2021

Hello @Nick H 

I think this will also solve my problem detailed  here 

Like Nick H likes this
0 votes
Richard Guo October 14, 2021

I ran into this exact situation doing a three way integration.

My solution was to write a python AWS Lambda that intercepts alerts from our secondary source that's guaranteed to send alerts on a time delay (so these are deduped).

Then point the corresponding integration to the API Gateway URL to invoke said lambda, instead of the official OpsGenie endpoint.

The lambda's logic simply takes the details{} payload and uses Alert Details Update API to insert the same payload into an existing alert. Auth headers are forwarded from original headers.

It takes a bit more logic if the lambda is for all alerts instead of having a source which is guaranteed to come later.

Since you're in Azure, perhaps Azure Functions does the same

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events