Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to Opsgenie Incoming Call Integrations Assigned UK Phone Numbers

Hello Community!

Due to regulatory requirements related to Know Your Customer (KYC) in the United Kingdom, all UK phone numbers are required to have an approved Regulatory bundle attached. To achieve this, Opsgenie customers who’d like to keep their current Atlassian-provided UK phone number will need to port it to their own Twilio account and switch to a Bring-Your-Own-Number (BYON) configuration by Sept 30, 2024 or the number will be deactivated, and the incoming call integration will stop working.

Review Your Options:

1. If you no longer use your incoming call integration, you can simply delete the integration from the integration list (Settings > Integrations).

2. If you use the incoming call integration, but do not need to keep the same number, you can delete the existing integration and set up a new integration using a new number from your own Twilio account.

3. If you use the UK incoming call integration and do need to keep the same number, you can request the phone number be ported to your own Twilio account by following the steps below.

Keeping your existing UK phone number:

1. Gather all of the relevant information as per the UK Regulatory Guidelines

2. Create a Twilio account

1. We strongly recommend upgrading your Twilio account before starting the porting process. Please note that you cannot set up multiple numbers on a trial account. If you have multiple UK numbers then you will need to upgrade your account before being able to add another.

3. Register your regulatory bundle and work with Twilio to have it approved - If you do require any assistance with submitting the regulatory bundle, please contact Twilio support via their support portal.

4. Once your bundle is approved, you are ready to have your number transferred. Submit a ticket with us using “UK PORT REQUEST” in the “Summarize your issue” field, and provide the following information:

1. Your Twilio Account SID

2. Your Twilio Approved Regulatory Bundle ID

3. The phone number(s) you’d like to port

5. Once we receive your support request, we will initiate the port with Twilio. We will be sure to let you know when we have done this - please check your email for a port approval request from Twilio. Once you provide your approval, Twilio will complete the number port to your account.

6. Now you’re ready to create a new Incoming Call integration with the same number in your own Twilio account. To do this, please follow the steps listed here.

Need Help? Here are some resources from Twilio that can assist with understanding the changes and how to submit a Regulatory Compliance (RC) Bundle.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is this happening?

• UK Regulators have made significant changes to their requirements to purchase a UK-based phone number. Where previously only a business address was required, all companies using a UK number now need to provide additional details and supporting documentation, which necessitates an approved Regulatory Bundle from Twilio to maintain. As such, Opsgenie will no longer be providing these numbers and all UK numbers will need to be owned and managed by customers.

What happens with payments/billing?

• Opsgenie will no longer bill for the Incoming Call number(s) or the calls themselves. All billing for incoming call integrations using BYON will happen via Twilio only. Twilio uses a pay-as-you-go system - please see their rates per minute here.

What info will Twilio need from my company?

What happens to my integrations?

• Once your numbers are ported, you will need to create new Incoming Call integrations in Opsgenie with the details of your Twilio account. Please see the steps listed here.

Will there be downtime?

• The integration will stop working as soon as the number is ported. A new integration will need to be created for the same number with your Twilio Account details. The number will be available once the new integration is created and enabled by your team.

How long will this process take?

• We expect the entire process, from Twilio account setup to regulatory bundle approval, and number transfer to take up to 4 weeks. As such we recommend starting the process as soon as possible.

What if I don’t want to move?

• UK numbers will no longer be provided by Opsgenie. Choosing not to port your numbers will result in them being released back into the Twilios number pool, and your integrations will stop working. The deadline to have numbers active in your own Twilio accounts is September 30, 2024, as commissioned by the UK regulators.

7 comments

daniel.page
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 7, 2024

Does this mean that Opsgenie will transfer ownership of this number to the Opsgenie client, or transfer ownerhip to Twilio and force us to partner with an unwanted provider because you don't want to manage the regulatory details that you do manage for other locations?

Like Sanka Insomphou likes this
Abhay Sarraf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2024

Hey Daniel,

The Aim is to transfer ownership of the Number to the customer using it.

Previously, All numbers were procured via Twilio and put under Atlassian's Account. To better comply with the recent changes, We are moving to Bring Your Own Number (BYON). This would ease the process and verification the UK region might implement.

This approach also has the added advantage of the Number being listed under the Customer account allowing them complete control over it.

Like # people like this
daniel.page
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 8, 2024

So it was Twilio behind the scenes all along :) Got it. This makes sense. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Saujanya Patel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 8, 2024

What is an Atlassian-provided UK phone number ?

Abhay Sarraf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2024

If you have reached out to Atlassian in the past for an Incoming Call number for the UK Region. This is the number we refer to as Atlassian UK Number as it was procured by Atlassian and is currently under Atlassian's Twilio Account

Sanka Insomphou August 28, 2024

So I have end users that have UK phone numbers, but all the incoming call integrations are US phone numbers.  This shouldn't impact any of our users if all our incoming call integrations are US?

Talar Pavlovic
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2024

Hi @Sanka Insomphou,

Thanks for your question! 

This relates only to Incoming Call integrations with UK numbers (which you would find in Settings > Integrations in your instance). 

Any end users who have UK numbers will not be affected. 

Regards,
Talar 

Like # people like this

Comment

AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events