OpsGenie and Jira Service Desk Integration - Thoughts/Feedback

Oliver Moore May 29, 2020

Hi,

I've just done a OpsGenie to JSD integration. Our use case for JSD is that we have a number of external customers sandboxed by organisation serviced by one central support team. We use project automation to set ticket priority based on impact/urgency. 

Issues I've found with the OpsGenie integration

• Updates it makes in comments are customer facing
  • You can't seem to trigger the webhook using the new "project automation". It does work in the legacy "automation". This means having automation in different places.
  • Incidents don't get auto assigned to the person acknowledging the alert

In the end, I did a direct webhook integration to the alerts API to meet my needs but I was surprised how poor the OpsGenie/JSD integration is one year after acquisition. Having had experience with ServiceNow and PagerDuty, their integration there is far superior. I did also try ServiceNow and OpsGenie which also seemed better than what the JSD/OpsGenie integration can handle.

What are your thoughts? Am I missing some magic to make this work more effectively?

3 comments

Samir
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2020

Hi @ol - thanks for sharing your feedback on the integration. We do have plans to continue improving integrations between Opsgenie and JSD/Jira.

In terms of those issues you mentioned, we have feature requests for the JSD integration for both

A) adding internal comments to JSD tickets

and

B) Assigning tickets to the user that acknowledged the associated alert in Opsgenie.

We do offer the ability to integrate using OEC https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/jiraservicedesk-integration#integration-via-oec-for-on-premise-jira-servicedesk-usage

When integrating via OEC, Opsgenie sends requests to the OEC service, and OEC executes the actionExecutor.py script which actually makes the requests to JSD via API.

So this allows you to be able to customize that script, so you can modify it to assign the user to the ticket, or add an internal comment instead of public, etc. Basically it gives you full control over what requests are made to JSD so you can customize it to make whichever requests you want that are available with the Jira API. So you can integrate that way if you want to modify those workflows.

But we do have feature requests around adding that functionality to the native cloud integration, so you don't have to go the route of integrating via OEC and modifying the script.

If you have anymore questions - feel free to come into support either via the blue chat bubble in bottom right-hand of screen when logged into Opsgenie, or submitting a ticket via https://getsupport.atlassian.com/

Thanks,

Samir

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

@Oliver Moore, Just came across this thread as I'm in the process of assessing OG and am particularly interested in integration with JSD/JSW. Overall it seems to be a very powerful app and I like what I see. I'm a big fan of Atlassian products and was really expecting to see tighter integration. Here is where my expectations fell flat...

There is no active linking between an Alert in OG and an Issue in JSD (unless you happen to use the beta ITSM apparently maybe?). I setup the integration such that an alert was created when certain JSD issue was created. Mostly it works but there is only static info under "Extra properties". However, if you include things like Status and Priority in the integration it will never be updated. So now I need to exclude the data altogether as out of date info is worse that no data. There isn't an 'easy' link back to the OG alert in the JSD issue detail. Note you can leverage a link in a comment from OG if it exists so at least that is something. Unfortunately this is not the case for OG notes as they are quite non-descriptive and don't have any notation that indicates the note originated in JSD or a link back to the ticket.

NOTE: there are two feature requests for my concerns apparently: OGS-1184 and ALX-3159. Hopefully, these will play out soon.

Finally, I do want to say that I was able to do some cool integration between the two systems, e.g. Using Automation in JSD I could move the issue to In Progress when the alert was ACKed in OG. So that is nice but really that is less to do w/ purposeful integration and more to do w/ how nice JSD Automation (A4J) is. ;-)

Oliver Moore September 9, 2020

@Jack Brickey - thanks, good to see it's not just me.

I'd be interested in how you got the OG > JSD automation working to move to in progress. Can you elaborate?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

@Oliver Moore , sorry for the crazy delay. I never saw the email notification and just happened across this while search 'how to make internal comments in JSD via note in OG' again. ;-)

My automation was quite basic illustrated below...

OG-automation.jpg

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2021

Hi All,

We now have a workaround to make Opsgenie comments as internal comments in the Jira Service Management ticket. Please refer to this post for the workaround solution.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Opsgenie-Discussions/OpsGenie-Comments-on-Jira-Service-Desk-Internal-Comments/td-p/1391583

Regards,
Ronnie

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events