OpsGenie Comments on Jira Service Desk - Internal Comments

Oliver Moore May 28, 2020

Hi,

I've just added OpsGenie to a Jira Cloud Service Desk. Our service desk is I would like OpsGenie to comment on a ticket when it is acknowledged but I would like the comment to be internal only. 

Is this possible or on a future roadmap?

Regards,

Oliver

7 comments

Justin Sitarz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2020

Hi Oliver! At the moment this is not possible (with the built-in Jira Service Desk integration), but we do have this functionality in the plans for future development. At the moment, your other option would be to use our Opsgenie Edge Connector application, which allows for you to trigger your own customizable scripts from an alert in Opsgenie. With that, you could in theory then add comments both publicly and privately in Jira, based off of some conditions in the alert itself. 

That's a general, rough outline of how this could potentially work, but if you'd like to take a deeper dive into how it might work for your particular needs, please feel free to open up a chat with us from the chat bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of your Opsgenie account. And, do also feel free to follow up with any further questions you have here, as well. Thanks!

Justin

Oliver Moore May 29, 2020

Thanks Justin - I'll take a look at that though it does give me something to have to manage in between OpsGenie and Jira (both in the cloud).

Appreciate the fast response. I hope the roadmap for this feature is fairly soon. I've hit a number of issues in OG/JSD that I wasn't expecting. I think the integration leaves something to be desired given this is an Atlassian on Atlassian solution. I've done similar integrations with ServiceNow, both with PagerDuty and OpsGenie and both were more fully featured OOTB.

I made this more general comment here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Opsgenie-Discussions/OpsGenie-and-Jira-Service-Desk-Integration-Thoughts-Feedback/td-p/1392253

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2021

Hi Oliver,

We have now updated this ticket with a workaround solution. Please refer to the latest comments.

Regards,
Ronnie

Kevin Howard November 17, 2020

Are there any updates when the ability to log Opsgenie acknowledgements (and other alerts) as internal comments on a Service Desk issue will be implemented? 

Thanks,

Kevin

Justin Sitarz
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2020

Hi Kevin, 

No updates yet - this request is still under review by our product and engineering teams. At the moment, the OEC (Opsgenie Edge Connector) option is still probably your best bet for implementing this sort of flow. 

Best, 

Justin

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2021

Hi Kevin,

We have now updated this ticket with a workaround solution. Please refer to the latest comments.

Regards,
Ronnie

wajdan zahid January 10, 2021

Hi Justin,

Is this update still pending? do we have any ETA about it? 

Justin Sitarz
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2021

Hi Wajdan, 

The request is still pending, and has not yet been added to our product roadmap, so there is no ETA just yet. 

Best, 

Justin

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2021

Hi Wajdan,

Regards,
Ronnie

Caleb Coverdale March 17, 2021

Hey, 

Another vote to add this to the roadmap. This integration is integral to what we need. 

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2021

Hi Caleb,

Regards,
Ronnie

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2021

Hi All,

We have now found a way to make the Opsgenie comments as an internal comment in Jira Service Management. Please find the details below.

Logic Explained

The settings are done at the Jira Service Management (JSM) side using the Jira Automation tool. When the Opsgenie comment reaches JSM via the integration, the comment is captured and stored to a variable temporarily. Then the actual comment in the ticket (which is publicly visible) is deleted. Now, we use the comment stored in the variable and insert it into the ticket as an internal note.

Instructions

You will need administrator access to the JSM project to create the automation.

1. Navigate to the JSM project > Project Settings > Automation > Automation

2. Create new automation and set up the automation rules as shown below
    Image 2021-05-07 at 5.07.23 pm.png

3. While creating the “Add comment to issue” rule, ensure you configure the settings as shown below
    Image 2021-05-07 at 5.09.48 pm.png
  4. Once these rules are set up, the comments from Opsgenie alert actions will be inserted into the JSM ticket as internal notes.

Screen Recordings

The below screen recording shows a demo of how an internal note is added to the JSM ticket when an alert is acknowledged / un-acknowledged in Opsgenie.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAuDgNkR

Oliver Moore May 10, 2021

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks - I will look at this. One immediate question, from your testing does the removal of the public comment happen quickly enough that it does not trigger an email notification to the ticket reporter (and their organisation)?

It would be a slightly confusing customer experience to get a notification for a comment that they find does not exist.

Regards,

Oliver

Ronnie Kingston
Atlassian Team
May 11, 2021

Hi Oliver, 

For this workaround solution, if the Jira email notifications are turned on for the customer, they will get an email notification just before the public comment is deleted by the automation. But when they login and check the ticket, they will not be able to see the comment. Yes, I agree that it might be a bit confusing for the customer and to avoid this, you will need to suppress/turn off the email notifications. 

Regards,
Ronnie

Erna October 20, 2022

Hi,

Do you have an update on this? It's been almost 2,5 years now under review! 

I know that you point to the OEC (Opsgenie Edge Connector) Add-on but that is not an option for us and the workaround here above is neither as we certainly do not want to confuse our customers with an email message which then is not visible if they log into the portal.

We are just starting to use Opsgenie with JSM cloud and this means that we have to turn off the two-way integration and possibly look into other options.

Br,

Erna Valdís 

Darryl Gibson July 31, 2023

Hi,

+1 to the last comment.

I was creating Opsgenie/JSM cloud integrations today and was disappointed to see I had to turn off the two-way integration to avoid confusing customers.

Rgds,

DG

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events