Have you recently moved from PagerDuty to Opsgenie?

Simran Talreja
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2023

Hello Opsgenie Community ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ ๐Ÿ™‚

Have any of you recently migrated from PagerDuty to Opsgenie? I would love to connect and chat more about your experience setting up on Opsgenie and bringing your teams over. 

Sharing a few time slots here, please pick one that suits you. 

Looking forward to speaking to you all! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

Thanks,

Simran 

4 comments

Matthew Knatz May 26, 2023

We are in the process...

So far I can say that Opsgenie's Twilio documentation is woefully out of date. So much so as to be completely useless.

The documentation explaining the difference between JSM derived licenses vs standalone OpsGenie licenses is also either non-existent or so difficult to search for that it makes it as good as non-existent. 

Team migration was manual as was integration migration, schedules, escalations and Services. That said the process of setting these up is way more intuitive that PagerDuty. 

John M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2023

Hi @Matthew Knatz ,

Not sure if you've seen this already, but we do have this doc that compares JSM-Opsgenie vs Standalone Opsgenie:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/main-differences-between-opsgenie-plans-when-bundled-with-jira-service-management-or-as-a-standalone-product-1163763012.html

Like โ€ข xixi li likes this
Justin Lewis June 14, 2023

Would be happy to discuss our move from PagerDuty to OpsGenie. Let me know when you'd like to connect. 

Like โ€ข John M likes this
Mark T July 18, 2023

Well, we've tried, but honestly, it has sucked. Between presales misleading us on what licenses include what types of alerts, the inability to do basic integrations like a webhook without paying through the nose compared to Pagerduty, and the inability to customize alerts and notifications compared to PD... I'm about to throw in the towel on Atlassian as a whole.

I guess if all you want is to get an alert for a basic email message, then Opsgenie can do it. But you're missing a large swath of features that PD provides in their $25/mo plan.

John M
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2023

Hi @Mark T ,

The $19/mo standard plan includes most features outside of stakeholders and some incident-related features which are available on the $29/mo Enterprise plan.

All outbound integrations like webhooks are also included in the Standard plan. Also on the Standard plan, nearly every field in an alert is fully customizable using either static or dynamic data or a combination of both. 

Can you tell me which features you were looking for that you were not able to find on the Standard plan?

Mark T July 18, 2023

Webhooks, for starters. I can get that on a free plan with PD.

Mark T July 19, 2023

BTW, if Webhooks are supported in Standard as you suggest, then it is not working.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 12.20.30 PM.png

John M
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2023

Hi @Mark T ,

Webhooks are available on Opsgenie Standalone Standard plans. If you are on a JSM Standard plan, the linked Opsgenie account is equivalent to Opsgenie Essentials Standalone, however, Opsgenie is completely free and included with your JSM subscription. 

Mark T July 19, 2023

Great, and where precisely is this information publicly available? I opened a ticket with presales support and was specifically told webhooks were available in all plans, which is obviously untrue. Let's add "the insanity of licensing" to the list of roadblocks in switching.

John M
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2023

If you were speaking with Jira/JSM presales support, they may have been referring to Jira webhooks which are available on all plans (which work with Opsgenie, but are separate from Opsgenie webhooks). We have this doc which highlights the free version of JSM-linked Opsgenie with the paid version of Opsgenie Standalone:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/main-differences-between-opsgenie-plans-when-bundled-with-jira-service-management-or-as-a-standalone-product-1163763012.html

Mark T July 20, 2023

I just said Webhooks since that's what they're called on the integrations page. 

So given how ubiquitous webhooks are, why are they treated as a premium item? I can understand charging for something like the Azure integration, which is interestingly in the free plan. Making a plain webhook a premium item is comical.

Here's what presales said:

Screenshot 2023-07-20 101601.png

John M
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2023

It looks like that answer was copied and pasted from the docs and it is the case with most integrations but for webhooks that text doesn't make sense since there is nothing 'received' for a webhook and there are no alerts created. It sounds like the presales team wasn't clear on which integration you were asking about; maybe they thought you were going to be receiving webhooks, which you can do with an API integration added from the teams dashboard. 

Mehvish_Ahmed September 3, 2023

Hi,  I am still confused, we are planning to move from PD to Opsgenie. With Opsgenie standard plan can we add integration directly under the settings page or still we need to add integration from team dashboard please clear this. Thank you.

Like โ€ข Jason Berndt likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events