Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: What Services/Subscriptions can't you live without?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2023

Happy Friday Everyone!

I’m usually running around behind the scenes and it has been quite some time since I have had the pleasure to welcome you all to the start of the weekend!

You may or may not have heard that recently, Netflix has rolled out some account changes in Canada. This has been met with a lot of backlash and negative opinions and feelings towards Netflix with many evaluating if they are really getting the value for the price they currently pay (including my wife and I).

download.png

This got me thinking, is every service/subscription I have a “luxury“ item that I could live without, or are there some that would make life very difficult. Given that my wife and I both work from home an internet service has become as important as any other utility (Heat, Power, Water). But, everything else is a “nice to have“.

images.png

With two young children, having Disney+ has been extremely beneficial to be able to introduce them to some of our favorite movies from when we were growing up. The fact that Disney also owns the rights to Star Wars and Marvel means my son and I get to “nerd out“ regularly.

primegaming_purpleroyale.png

I also enjoy our Amazon Prime subscription. Yes it’s nice to be able to get faster delivery times, but Prime Gaming also provides me with one free Twitch subscription every month which allows me to support the channel of my favorite charity: ExtraLife4Kids!

Extra life.png

My question to you all this week - Are there and services/subscriptions that you pay for which you simply couldn’t live without? Maybe it’s that gym membership or a weekly/monthly food subscription. I’d love to hear from all of you in the comments below!

I hope you all have an amazing weekend!

29 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2023

We've been having the same conversation about some of our video subscriptions. We were sharing some of the subscriptions, so at some point I think we'll need to re-evaluate what we have! Netflix is one that I'm not eager to let go of since it really has the most variety and biggest bang for our buck across our family (ages 8-40 in this household.) I think I'd also have a hard time letting go of our Costco membership - although, while I kid myself into thinking I save money by shopping there, I'd probably save a lot of money by avoiding shopping there since I always get sucked into things I don't need! 

Top 20 Costco GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Like # people like this
Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 16, 2023

@Jimmy Seddon Ahh I love this prompt!! For me, it's sadly UberEats! I never know what I want to eat for dinner, so I love hunting for new spots! I've discovered my fave restaurants (I do sometimes go in person lol) on UberEats. 

giphy

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2023

Getting a headstart on the weekend here (it's still Thursday for me).

Great prompt (as always) @Jimmy Seddon. I took a quick inventory a little while back of the number of monthly and annual subscription services my wife and I maintain and cut back on $134/month by cancelling some of the lesser used/lesser value ones. Here are three that I could not live without:

1. Reader's Digest

RD.jpg

I don't know how many years we have been subscribers, probably 23 since that is how long we have been married. We both love reading it every month. It has the perfect blend of stories, games and vignettes that peak our interests. It's a permanent fixture in the bathroom (TMI?).

2. Strava

strava-ar21.png

The only social media platform I am on. OK, LinkedIn is now also social media, but I will save that for another rant. It is the perfect blend of my love of data and cycling. I can geek out all over a weekend group ride, provide kudos to motivate friends and enjoy seeing where my connections are cycling, running, kayaking, etc. Even though there is a subscription increase starting next month, it is still worth it for tracking my progress and maintaining my connections with those the help inspire me to push a bit harder on the bike.

3. Zwift

zwift-945px-1.png

The fixture of my indoor pain cave. A place to be anti-social and social at the same time. Riding indoors alone in my basement during the colder months or on rainy days, I love Zwift. Technically I could suspend my subscription in the 'off-season', but I keep the monthly payments going because I believe in the platform and their mission and mission statement. For the same reason I continue to pay for Trello even though I could get it free. I love hopping on my bike and being transported to distant lands to cycle through. It's fitness and entertainment bundled in one.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 16, 2023

Yes, great topic Jimmy!

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 2.55.52 PM.png

Much like the Gladstones and Reader's Digest, my spouse and I have a loyalty to the New York Times Sunday crossword. He subscribes to the physical paper and so we do it on paper together every Sunday; this also means I get to do Wordle and the Spelling Bee every day online. I love them!

908687.png

One of my 2022 resolutions was to improve my Dutch, so I spent last year subscribed to Duolingo. They changed the format a bit and I find it less addictive these days, but I'll keep subscribing to it through the summer, when I plan to spend 6 weeks working out of our Amsterdam office and hopefully practicing my Dutch for real.

severan.gif

For streaming services, we tend to rotate through a few - Apple TV when Severance and Ted Lasso are on, HBO Max for Our Flag Means Death and White Lotus, and whatever Hacks is on.  Bring back cable bundles because it's exhausting 😂

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2023

What an amazing opportunity for immersion into the language!

Like # people like this
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2023

Veel succes met je Nederlands en geniet van de 6 weken in Amsterdam :)
En kom gerust eens naar België ook :)

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Viktoriya Borisova
Community Manager
February 16, 2023

Spotify - I have it on allllll day. I once hit 103k+ in listening minutes for the year. 

I can deal with ads for shows & movies, but never for music 😅

P.S. This is a great question Jimmy!

open-graph-default.png

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2023

I don't know that there are any that I couldn't do with out as there's actually very few that I have. I have several that are Free - does that count? haha

Maybe Sam's Club of Costco in the states because those save me money. But now that I am in Dubai, I'll probably end up with some here.  :-)

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

Ohhh mannnnn this is a hard one.  I mean I have a crap load of these and they all have different content that both me and the wife are hooked on.  Music service indeed that's isn't going anywhere.  Disney+ it's not just for Snow White any more... 
Do I have to @Jimmy Seddon LOL

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

How do I not sound like a broken record (kids, ask your parents what that means!)?

1. Netflix

2. Disney+

3. Paramount+ (don't bother me now, I'm watching Picard!)

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

Basic Human Needs.png

Apart from that:

1. Google One (cloud storage for files & pictures/memories)
  2. YouTube (couldn't do without it, I need my daily dose)
  3. Spotify (music was my first love ... and it will be my last)
Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

YouTube Premium or whatever it's called is pretty cool! I love being able to save videos for flights. Plus you can get a family plan for others!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2023

I got rid of my cable TV subscription a few years ago, and the only thing I really missed was Jeopardy, so I just started spending $60+ per month for YouTube Premium just so I can have network TV and a cloud DVR for 30 minutes of TV a day. Still cheaper than cable by far, although I should probably look at my various streaming subscriptions.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

Great topic @Jimmy Seddon!

Yes, I do have too many subscriptions, and should probably do an inventory and think about if we really need some of them or not. But I can already hear my two daughters protesting if we do. But I did get rid of the Roblox subscriptions without any objections, so who knows.

There are a couple that we would not be able to live without, Costco being one of them. Another one would be ESPN Plus, since that is the only way I can follow Hurricanes on their way to Stanley Cup (wishful thinking and fingers crossed)!

cut

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

Oh man, #17! Haven't seen that name since my childhood!

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg I will echo ESPN+  If I do watch TV, I watch sports.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2023

@Jimmy Seddon - hehehe, does my Jira Cloud subscription count?

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2023

HA! Indeed, I wouldn't be able to be a community leader without my free (sometimes on trial for me to try the cool new paid features) Atlassian Cloud accounts.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2023

Right? I appreciate being able to test paid features on our Community Sandbox too...

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2023

haha, this is a good one!! You passed the test 💥

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2023

But yeah, my Jira Cloud subscription keeps me in the loop for things.

I also pay for YouTube Red, because I like downloading music mixes and Omeleto short films to my mobile devices before flying. 🙌

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2023

Great topic, @Jimmy Seddon! Here's a pic of my current subs followed an overly long explanation (as I do):

sub.jpg

So, Spotify because as horribly tiny as their payments to artists are, I still feel like I'm hopefully paying them something or giving them useful stats they can track? Listening to music on YouTube like all the kids do is a lousy experience, but I also hate ads, and YouTube Premium (formerly Red) unlocks ad-free bliss.

When I see YouTube ads on somebody else's computer/TV (or as my wife learned, when showing a video to kids using a teacher's laptop), we're always jarred and offended. How do people live like this? (Yes, the Brave browser can block them on computers. I have that too. But it doesn't work on all the Roku devices I now have since working for them.)

The fact that the whole family uses Spotify and YouTube Premium takes a bit of the sting out of the monthly cost.

My wife can't live without Netflix now that they've gotten so aggressive in their buying of Korean dramas.

@Monique vdB - we also subscribe to the New York Times home delivery (Sunday only), and this includes NYT games which I had previously been paying for separately! I love doing the crossword and occasionally can get a streak going, if I don't forget. And I too prefer doing it on paper, but that doesn't record my stats. Also, WordleBot to analyze my Wordle strategy.

Speaking of papers... sometimes I feel like we're single-handedly keeping our local paper in business, but we also subscribe to the paper edition of the San Jose Mercury News. It's kind of a shadow of its former self, but it's what we've got.

OH, and this reminds me that just yesterday, I finally decided to get rid of Xfinity. [Although their cancel form says that somebody will be calling me in two business days to "make sure" I really want to cancel. Oy, "customer retention". It's ok. I'm a Jira Admin. I'm good at saying "No." (h/t @Rachel Wright. But also, after reading this article about cancelling Xfinity, I might just say we're moving. Ugh.]

Anyways, cancelling Xfinity means I'm finally taking the plunge and cutting the cord! My brother was an early adopter on this front. (He upgrades his TV every few years. We have his old huge 55" Vizio HDTV and he just gifted his "old" ginormous 60" LG 4K TV to my parents). He is a big sports fan and TV watcher so I trust him when he says YouTube TV with their unlimited DVR is the way to go. (If you need a $15/mo discount for the first 3 months I think I should have a referral code in maybe 4 days after my "free trial" is over. Or maybe I have to wait until after my 3-mo promo offer is over. Who knows. It's a brave new world!) (Also, their user interface is kind of crappy. Hum.)

Let's see...oh oh, and as @Dave Mathijs correctly points out with his diagram, NONE OF THIS would be possible without solid Wifi or really Internet (gig Ethernet FTW). I switched off of Xfinity Internet at the beginning of the pandemic, because it was just not able to keep up with 4 people having to do Zoom sessions at the same time. I was only able to do this because AT&T finally ran fiber to our neighborhood (after promising for years). But since I hate AT&T, I pay for service through Sonic which was my original DSL (remember that!?) provider when we first moved into this house almost 23 years ago.

Sonic is a great "local" ISP that has solid technical and customer support, so it was so good to get back to them, even if I'm still having to run on top of AT&T's equipment. (To be fair, the AT&T tech who installed the fiber was top notch.)

While I'm not sad to be finally leaving Xfinity behind, I am a little sad that I won't be using our TiVos anymore. To be fair they're are super-old (Premiere XLs that I've had to replace the hard drives in at least once each), but god I remember when we had our first TiVo and what a game-changer it was...

unsub.jpg

Anyways, whew, that's a lot. I should add some pictures so this isn't so text-heavy. OMG, is it Saturday already?

Like # people like this
Steffen Burzlaff _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 20, 2023

I +1 YouTube Premium.
I'm so much on YouTube watching videos that it's worth the money. Also I don't have Spotify since with YouTube Premium, YouTube Music is already included and I can't see a difference between the platforms, except that YouTube Music provides lyrics and music videos as well :-)

Like Umer Sohail _K15t_ likes this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2023

Oh wow - this post is full of interesting services 👀
For me, it's Crunchyroll, gym + swimming pool, and a weekly doggy food delivery (this makes me more responsible dog mum 😂)

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2023

Crunchyroll! I haven't been on that site in forever - I logged in maybe a month ago to try watching the last season of Attack on Titan, but it's really hard to watch that anime and try to do something else 🤣

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2023

Ha! So true, especially when watching original with subtitles ... I wish I could understand Japanese

Henri Seymour _Easy Agile_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 19, 2023

I found that I can live without TV/movie streaming services, I can tolerate ads on YouTube, but I can't live without some sort of music streaming service. I don't mind too much which one but I'm not going to get through a desk job without a soundtrack! 

When my mate's shared subscription to YouTube Premium (with YouTube Music included) expired, it took me less than a week to start my own subscription for music streaming. 

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2023

Apple TV

Like # people like this
Carlotta Kuhn February 20, 2023

I agree with a lot of the comments here. I can't live without Spotify and don't want ads between my songs. Another great one I use is Youtube TV because it offers many different things - shows, sports, etc. As a cat owner, I also have a food subscription so I don't have to worry about them going hungry 😄

Like # people like this
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2023

I got rid of my TV/DVR/cable subscription when I started my RV trip in 2015. I don't miss it at all! I get my news and entertainment from the common (free) online video streaming services.

Each time I stay in a hotel, I flip through TV channels just to see if I'm missing anything.

Confirmed: There are 1,000,000 channels but still nothing good to watch! ;)

Great thread as usual @Jimmy Seddon! Thanks for keeping everyone engaged.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2023

I'm staying at a hotel now (and stuck for an extra night due to weather delays) and we are SO tired of scrolling the endless channels with nothing to watch. It doesn't help that the wifi is terrible and we're trying to satisfy ages 8-40. Thankfully we just stumbled on some Marvel movie marathon so we'll be set for the night. ;) 

Like Rachel Wright likes this
Katie Zavhorodnia_Appfire February 24, 2023

Wow, @Jimmy Seddon that's a cool discussion I apparently missed!
All the super handy services mentioned here 🙌

I'll add my top 3:

1. Youtube Premium 🎥 (Since non-skippable ads were allowed)

2. Apple Music 🎧 (looks like everyone is a Spotify fan here 😉)

3. Audible 📚📚📚 (I physically can't read as many books as I wish)

Ah, and Google One to store all thingies & photos, but that doesn't really count 😊

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2023

Yes Audible! That's a good one I have too :D

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2023

Definitely Spotify.  I couldn't stand not being able to listen to whatever I want without ads!

Like # people like this
Nichols Wood March 5, 2023

I'm also addicted to the internet as I am a digital marketer and running an online business balloons delivery and can't live without that. If I skip this then there are higher chances that my business will be in loss that's why I don't take any risk of being outside all day. 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2023

@Nichols Wood - are there any services or subscriptions that are totally intertwined with your life that you couldn't live without?

Curious if you're rocking a Trello Premium subscription, or maybe paying for Spotify! 🙌

Nichols Wood March 9, 2023

I am paying for Spotify, I love music when I am working. As I said I have a balloon delivery business so always I turn on the birthday party music and get new ideas. 🤩

Like Darryl Lee likes this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2023

@Nichols Wood Balloon Delivery? I'd love to hear how you use Atlassian products in your business!

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2023

Nice topic @Jimmy Seddon !

Although I have just a few subscriprtion services like Netfilx and Disney+, the one that I'm addicted is youtube. WIth or without ads, there are tons of useful videos there, from music, tutorials, funny stuff, documentaries and movies.

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2023

Great topic @Jimmy Seddon and this one has a lot of replies! You got people thinking on this one. For me, it is all the TV and Music subscriptions I have such as: 

1. Netflix
  2. Disney + 
  3. Apple TV
  4. Prime TV

And let's not forget the music ones too:

1. Spotify
  2. Amazon Music

Oh and let's not forget Amazon Prime subscription, Sam's Club, and the many news subscriptions I pay for! 

It's a subscription type world out there! Content is no longer free! I'm just handing out money all over the place! 

Like # people like this
LoRi March 9, 2023

A bit late, but tomorrow is Friday again! I keep a long list of my subscriptions and most are the same as everyone like: Spotify, Disney+, The New York Times, Netflix and Peacock! But outside of entertainment streamers, i also subscribe to the fat $$ ADOBE CC design bundle

Adobe_Creative_Cloud_rainbow_icon.svg.png

And a VPN across all my devices called Disconnect which i find very useful to block tracking sites and try to keep my privacy somewhat still private.

Disconnect.me_logo.svg.png

And i just cancelled one of my favorite subscriptions (sadface) because I just got too many supplies and wasn't using them as much as when i signed up, Art Snacks. But still highly recommend!

ArtSnackslogo.png

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2023

Who doesn't love a summary post? YouTube Premium just outpaced Spotify. 

Summary.png

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events