Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is impossible to filter subtasks by sprint, leading to overhead for over 120 Jira teams

Ciprian Simu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

Starting this discussion in order to ask for attention towards the ticket of the bug linked below, meant to highlight the fact that a lot of teams that are using Next Gen / Team-managed projects are dealing with overhead due to the lack of a simple yet essential functionality: filtering subtasks by sprint.

The initial issue has been reported in 2019 and yet we are still lacking a fix.

Initial bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18394

Kindly asking the Jira team to review and fix this issue.

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It is annoying, but it's technically correct - sub-tasks do not go into a sprint themselves, and hence do not have a value for the sprint field.   They are only seen to be in a sprint when the issue of which they are a part is in the sprint.

But for reporting, it would be very useful to be able to search via a sprint field (and this is something I've automated or scripted more than once) - having a field on both the story-level and sub-task issues that exposes "current sprint", which is a copy of the sprint field from the story, cascaded to all the sub-tasks.

Ciprian Simu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

Thank you for replying Nic!

It would indeed be very helpful for reporting purposes. 

It's very weird because I've modified the default format of Subtasks to contain the label "Subtask" by default when created - aiming to be able to filter by the label 'Subtask' and sprint - however this doesn't work either, which to me seems very weird because I'm no longer relying on the inheritance of the Sprint Value between parent task and subtask.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2024

That should enable you to report on "project = xyz or label = sub-task", but I don't think it's going to help with the sprint reporting.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events