Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling JIRA REST API from POSTMAN

Sai Shyam Pasupuleti May 2, 2019

I am calling the JIRA REST API as below from POSTMAN DESKTOP with authorization Type as BasicAuth or NoAuth and its throwing error as "Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it." and "Unauthorized".

https://<domain-name>.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/RPC-260

Can anyone guide me on how to proceed on this.

14 answers

Suggest an answer

36 votes
Ben Bahrman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 14, 2019

You should be using:

• Type = Basic Auth
  • Username = <your login username>
  • Password = <your api token>Postman.PNG
Gustavo Salazar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 27, 2020

This worked, thanks.

Like # people like this
Eric ARNAUD
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 25, 2020

Thanks you !!!!

Alan Jiménez August 3, 2020

This also worked for me.

Is it just me? Or is this totally bananas? I've been chasing my tail for hours trying to get it to work with OAuth v2.

Is this a normal way to use such a token?

Thanks a lot for this help!

Like # people like this
rahul bhide December 3, 2020

Thanks worked for me as well.

Nick March 8, 2021

Thanks alot

cc
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 2, 2021

Thanks!

felix.weber May 12, 2021

Just in case somebody else stumbled about this:

Indeed you have to use the API key and not the encoded one (https://blog.developer.atlassian.com/creating-a-jira-cloud-issue-in-a-single-rest-call)

So in Postman you need the API-key; in python (using requests) you need the encoded API

Like # people like this
Kanchan Katkar May 31, 2021

Thank you so much works for me as well.

Like felix.weber likes this
Barb GM
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2021

Nice, thanks

David.Budd
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 13, 2021

Basic authentication with passwords is deprecated

Like # people like this
Abdulkader Khateeb
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 18, 2021

I use OAuth2.0 in authentication and all requests tot eh JIRA API have response of UNAUTHORIZED

Like # people like this
3 votes
alexandre.caruso
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 30, 2019

Hello guys, 

With the basic auth, are you using the API token in the password field? That is how it suppose to work.

Cheers!

Alexandre C.  

Pvs_Krishna March 4, 2020

How to know the API token?

alexandre.caruso
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 4, 2020
Abhijit Das
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 7, 2020
2 votes
Nathaniel Elliott May 25, 2020

I had the same situation for a while and finally learned that my username needed to be the email address NOT just the username alone. Though, when I am using Jira I sign in with without the email address. 

Larsen Mallick Raja
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 9, 2020

As recommended, e-mail as username, API token as password and Authorization type as 'Basic Auth' worked from Postman.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Carlos Perez-Navarro April 29, 2020

?

1 vote
Safaa OUM January 29, 2020

Hello,

I am facing the same problem. Has this issue been resolved ?  any suggestion?

I't works with the browser but i keep having 401Unauthorized with postman

I'm using the e-mail as username and the generated token fro jira as a password

Nick Sandgren
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 19, 2021

You have to use the username of the application. In my case, I got 401 when using my e-mail and trying to call Jira Insight API.
I clicked the icon in the top right and then Profile, and here I could see that my username was not my e-mail, but a network ID issued by my organization. Using this username I was able to call the API successfully as described above.

Also, different Jira applications does not share the token, so a token created in Jira does not work for Jira Insight.

0 votes
Barb GM
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 19, 2021

Your token maybe expired.

Go to your Jira instance - personal access token and revoke/delete current token, then recreate your token again, copy and paste to a text file exactly as shown.

In Postman access Authorization - basic auth, and under password copy and paste your new token from above. (hint: Click on show your password to make sure it's copied exactly without any additional spaces at the end), then execute your api. 

0 votes
Taha Zahid
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 18, 2021

hi there ! i set up all headers,authorization, basic auth, api token , user name but getting 404 error please help to resolve it ..

jira.JPG

0 votes
Ashwani Garg February 23, 2021

Hi, Can anyone share PostMan Collection for JIRA APIs, it would be very helpful for me to understand it easily?

wkennedy April 15, 2021

You can ordinarily import the wadl into Postman, but I haven't had luck lately.

https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.6.1/jira-rest-plugin.wadl

0 votes
Sharath P Bongale October 26, 2020

Hi All,

I am using basic auth with token and still i am getting 

{    "errorMessages": [        "Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it."    ],    "errors": {}}

However when i use the same url in browser, with session of jira logged in another tab, i am getting back issue details

Any suggestion?

Sheetal Sulay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 3, 2021

Hi Sharath,

I am having the same issue.

Is your issue resolved ?

0 votes
Manav Kumar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2020

Getting issue in Postman "Basic auth with password is not allowed on this instance"

I am using Basic Auth. Email in Username an Token in Password.

Can anyone please help as it was working fine earlier?

1)  click on my picture > bottom left

2) select profile

3) click 'manage your account'

4) click 'security

5) click 'create and manage API tokens'

Luis_Antonio_Lugo_Padilla
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 26, 2020

I love how Pvs_Krishna just responds with the steps to get the token when people are actually asking why that's not working.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Valentin Florea
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2020

Also running into: "Basic auth with password is not allowed on this instance"

So what other options than basic auth does the jira api support?

0 votes
devin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 22, 2019

any updates on how to resolve this?

0 votes
Rambabu Bandari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 5, 2019

I'm having same issue, Please suggest..

0 votes
Edwin Kyalangalilwa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2019

Hi @Sai Shyam Pasupuleti ,

Please confirm that you have access to the project by viewing the issue on the browser.

https://<domain-name>.atlassian.net/browse/RPC-260

Hi Edwin,

Yes I do have access and I am able to get the data using Chrome REST Service client where as with Desktop version of POSTMAN its failing.

Your response will be highly appreciated

When used Authorization Type - No Auth it says "Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it." and below is the screenshot

When Authorization Type - Basic Auth it says Unauthorized Find the screenshotSS1.PNGSS2.PNG

Please advice on this.

Your timely help is much appreciated

Like Sasikumar Ravi likes this
Mamata Kalbande
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 19, 2019

I am having the same problem. Has this issue been resolved yet.

Thanks,

Mamata

1) I click on my picture > bottom left

2) select profile

3) click 'manage your account'

4) click 'security

5) click 'create and manage API tokens'

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events