Configuration Management & Affected Users notifications with Jira Service Desk & Riada Insight

Dimitar Dimitrov June 6, 2018
  • HI guys, I have a question here about a Configuration Management scenario with JSD and RIADA Insight. The scenario is the following: you have an Object Schema with multiple object types (CI classes) with dependencies between them (parent - child), which form a CMDB. On top of the schema there is an object of type Business Service.

1. First requirement is that a user needs to be able to subscribe to a business service. Question here is - can 'Watch' be that option and what exactly does 'Watch' do? Here of course I am facing the challenge that - yes, a user could subscribe to a Business Service, but this would not solve the problem with all of the related items supporting that business service (to which the user will not even have visibility to subscribe)

2. When a user is subscribed to the business service, the user needs to receive notifications for all the issue type events which are concerning the business service (example A: an incident is reported against a server object X, which is linked with dependencies to the business service the user is subscribed to; example B: a change is scheduled with a storage unit object Y, which is related to the same business service). Do you have some functionality which basically crawls up and down the dependency tree and based on the objects affected notifies certain people? To speak ITIL, this would be Impact Analysis.

3. Conflict Checking - same logic applies here. When a user submits a change and chooses a particular object Z, then he/she needs to be informed are there any other issues related to that object Z

Please share your thoughts on those. 

2 comments

Comment

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

WIth just Insight and JSD - there would be problems with achieving these (although with second point You might look into Insight automations + some scripting).

With 1st one - You refer to Insight "watch" or JIRA ""watch"?
first option - You will get notification on object changes (if setup properly)
second option - does nothing to Insight objects.

3rd point - again - some scripting plus Insight automations should work. 

Detailed solutions? We done something similar (a bit simpler - based  on Insight automation, Insight post functions and Insight fields dependencies) for few Valiantys customers...

Dimitar Dimitrov June 7, 2018

To your questions - yes, I am talking about the Insight 'watch' option, and I guess this solves the case of being notified for a specific item. 

However, for me more important is the logic which can crawl up and down the dependency map - I guess I will try this with automation rules and the needed scripting. If you really have done something similar, please share it, I think it would be useful for more than just me, but in favor of the community in general. You mentioned it's simpler than my example, but it could save us some time on starting the work. Thanks in advance!

Dimitar Dimitrov June 12, 2018

My last ask did not seem to resonate here, huh?:) Still, if you guys have some sort of solution, don't be afraid and keep it hidden for your customer, share it out to the community:) Peace out!

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2018

it did... However, as I mentioned - it is slightly different and to show it off - we still need to depersonalise that. But point taken and in predictable future (few weeks) you will see it. :-)

Dimitar Dimitrov June 12, 2018

Awesome, great and thank you for the replies mate!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events