Automation for Jira throwing "Unknown fields" exception in Create Issue action

Steve Goodwin April 7, 2022

In an automation rule I am using the Create Issue action to create a subtask. Within the action I am attempting to set the LinkedIssue field to an existing issue. Although the LinkedIssue field is enabled for the subtask issue type in my project, the link is not being created. The audit log shows the following error:

Unknown fields set during create, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -
Linked Issues (issuelinks)

I have tried adding the link both directly by choosing a field to set, and with JSON in Additional Fields. Both ways return the same error.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error even though the Linked Issues field is enabled for this issue type in my project?

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Goodwin April 8, 2022

Found the solution in another community post: Automation for JIRA - Linking issues.

For others, the Linked Issues field (or any field used in automation actions) needs to be on the associated screen (e.g. create or edit). Adding the field to the create screen resolved this issue.

Just speculating, but it sounds like issue screens are used for validation, etc. in the rule actions. Wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for imports.

juppa September 28, 2022

I was having exactly the same issue, and adding the linked issue field to the create screen solved it.

Too bad, I can't "hide" this linked field on this issue creation step. It really doesn't make any sense to have it in my application, at this point.

Like Steve Goodwin likes this
Bibi August 30, 2023

WOOW thank you!

Like Steve Goodwin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events