what is the JQL sytax to get the first word from a string?

Nagarajan Kalyana Subramanian August 31, 2023

Hi,

i have a String with multiple words, i want to get just the first word from that string to use . is that possible? if so, what is the syntax please?

i am trying to write a table using table transformer macro.

thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2023

Hi @Nagarajan Kalyana Subramanian and...

giphy

Can you elaborate a little as to what field you are wanting to search?

You can search for a single word with:  text ~ TheWord  This will search in both Summary and Description. You can search for a word in only Summary with: Summary ~ TheWord  Neither of these search for the first word though.

But I don´t think you can search for the first word of a string with Jira out of the box. Probably need to use some script and API call. Possibly a 3rd Party App.

HTH,
KGM

Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2023

HAHA @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ~ nice "warm" welcome!  🤣

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2023

@Laurie Sciutti I really try to make people feel comfortable and pride myself with that. Did I pitch the wrong tune here?!?  ;)  Hahaha

Like Fun Man Andy likes this
Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2023

Not at all, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !  I loved the meme ~ made me laugh.  😄

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2023

Good. I meant it that way but it could totally be misunderstood. I was being a bit ironic in my last comment though...  Glad it made you laugh :) We all need more laughter in our lives. HAve a fantastic Friday!

Like Laurie Sciutti likes this
0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 12, 2023

Hi @Nagarajan Kalyana Subramanian,

did you get your issue resolved?

If I understand correctly, you want to search/filter by the first word of an issue's summary. As already suggested, I don't think that's possible in plain Jira; you'll need extra tooling for that, e.g. from the Atlassian Marketplace.

If I may provide a concrete recommendation, this would be easy to do using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira. JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. As it uses a different text search technology than what Jira uses internally, you can use regular expressions to search through your issues, like so:

regex-search-first-word.gif

Once you've narrowed down your list of issues, you can work on your issues directly in JXL, trigger various operations in Jira, or export your issues with just one click.

As said above, there'll be other apps that can help with this, too. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your size, it may be free forever. So if an app is an option for your, perhaps try a few and see which works best for you.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2023

Is this CQL? I don't think there is a direct JQL/CQL syntax to extract the first word from a string. However, you might get the entire string and split it and get the first (index:0) array item using a Macro.

Suggest an answer