trying to insert epic GO-1 or GO-3 into story GO-2 but its not finding epic?

Leanne Lewis November 29, 2018

created 2 epics

created 1 story

cant find GO-1 or GO-3 in 'epic link' field when linking story GO-2

why?  How can I fix it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2018

Hello @Leanne Lewis,

• Are the epic issues resolved or closed?  They may not be linkable if they are.
  • Do you still have access to edit them? If not, you may not be able to add a story to the epic.
  • Is your instance having any indexing problems?  That may keep them from being found.

There might be clues in the logs if none of these are the issue.

Hope this helps,
~~Larry Brock

Leanne Lewis November 29, 2018

Hi Larry

epics and stories are in backlog and in progress - not resolved or closed

I can still edit story and epics

and in regards to the logs - how do I access the logs?

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2018

Hmm, do you have a scrum board available where you could try dragging/dropping the story into one of the listed epics?

Leanne Lewis December 2, 2018

Hi - yes I have a scrum board.  Tried dragging/dropping story into a epic.  Noticed that the epics are not on the list for epics on the left - so its not recognising that the epics have been created

also noticed that under 'issue type scheme' there is no description for epic - probably nothing though

its like the epic linked field doesnt recognise the project or 'GO' prefix

the workflows are active

can link story to story by 'linked' field but still doesnt recognise epics

Are you able to view the project settings? 

As I need to create another 4 projects today.  And wish to use same workflows, schemes too.  But dont want too if there are issues with the first project.

I have created another 2 epics and when its created I get a popup stating that the epic is not visible - would you know why?

There is no reason on the popup

epic is included in the project's issue type scheme - refreshed page but still not seeing epics in scrum board backlog's left hand epics list

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

Are other epics visible and usable on the board?  Are they from the same project ("GO")?

Leanne Lewis December 5, 2018

My problem was resolved by support.  The cause was that this particular customer's jira instance doesnt use the issue type 'epic' (they use issue type 'goal').  Hence why it was not recognising the epics that I had created.  So when I  changed my epics to goals, I was able to match the story to the epic via the epic link field.

So thank you for providing this info.  The main problem I had was that I couldnt match the epic in the epic link field.

So all good.

Appreciate your thoughts and support.

Regards

Leanne

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2018

Thank you for posting the final solution, @Leanne Lewis!  All too often, postings are abandoned where nobody knows if it things resolved, much less how.

Suggest an answer