showing transition date in JIRA Dashboard

Ahmed Alghamdi December 30, 2020

Hi Community, I am looking to have a dashbord with a gadget that can show a story lifecycle along with dates of each status transition 

for example, imagine we have To Do, in development, in testing, and Live.

i'd like to have the dashboard show the date for when the story transitioned into one of the above statuses. an example of how i picture the dashboard to look like

User Story Summary     To Do     In-development     in Testing     Live 

As a user ...etc               Feb 1       Feb 15                   Feb 28          March 2

Thanks a lot!

7 answers

2 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 30, 2020

Hello @Ahmed Alghamdi 

You can try Time between Statuses (server version), which shows how long it takes an issue to move from one status to another. You'll get the date of transition to a particular status.

tbs.png

As an alternative, you can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud which generates 7 types of reports regarding statuses!)

Time in Status also generates a Status entrance date report, which shows when each issue has moved to a particular status (in Progress, Testing, etc.). 

statusentrancedate.png

I hope you find it helpful

Best regards, Mariana

1 vote
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi, @Ahmed Alghamdi !

My company uses app - Structure - Project Management at Scale

It is really cool app and that might be useful in your case - check out the doc page about Transition Dates(there you can find pictures).

Also you simply check it on free demo-stand.

Feel free to contact!

Best regards, 

Alexander

1 vote
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 30, 2020

Hello @Ahmed Alghamdi ,

Jira does not offer this out of the box but if you are interested in a ready built solution, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

The app contains 4 different date reports that show   first/last   entry/exit   dates for all statuses.

tisCloud_FirstTransitionToStatusDate_Report.pngTimeline.png

Time in Status also gives you reports that show how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the average InProgress time per project and per issuetype). You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Cycle Time or Lead Time.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Define your custom calendars for more accurate duration reporting.
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API.
  • See Time in Status data and charts for each issue as a tab on issue view screen.

Currently Time in Status reports are available through its own reporting page (and issue view screen) but we recently introduced a dashboard gadget for Jira Cloud that can display all Time in Status reports on your dashboards. Now our team is working to port this gadget to Jira Server version. It will be available soon.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Daniel Vest April 18, 2024

@Ahmed Alghamdi  I know this took place some time back, but in case anyone else is doing anything similar to this and has a JSM dashboard question about a status change date, this may help spark some ideas:

One way I just tried and got working today, was able to utilize a custom field, JQL, and smart value to show me when a status changed. This was needed for me to show on a dashboard when a changed was approved at the CAB review process.

1. I created a Text Field (read only) custom field (yes a text field, it probably would work with others, I just liked the fact that no one was going to be able to click in this field and change anything. I called this field CAB Reviewed On.
    customfield cab.JPG
  2. Next I created an automation with the trigger to watch When: Issue transitioned (in my case, from Authorized to Awaiting Implementation) and then met the JQL of my project and was a Change type, it then would edit the CAB Reviewed On custom field with the smart value of {{now.shortDateTime}} to that read only text field.
    automation rule for CAB date.JPG
  3. Now it is permanently captured in a field… you could also use automation to write to an internal comment, or whatever you would need to do with that smart value. (I used the shortDateTime so that I did not get very long time date string).
    success.JPG
0 votes
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
December 30, 2020

Hi @Ahmed Alghamdi ,

Enhancer Plugin for Jira has dedicated custom fields such as Status Entry/Exit Dates, First/Last Resolution Dates and First/Last In Progress Dates (And so on) for this and you can use them in your reports and gadgets.

Just add these fields to your screens after the configuration you're done. Also, these fields are sortable/searchable.

As a bonus, with Enhancer Plugin for Jira, you won't be confined just a simple status timer or transition date features. Enhancer has wide array of custom fields, workflow enhancements, issue tab fields, dedicated reports and gadget that can satisfy a whole bunch of use cases! 

image2019-4-27_15-54-44.pngimage2017-9-15+17-31-37.png

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

Please note that I'm one of the members of the Snapbytes team.

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

I have used the same  Time between Statuses as @Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet  suggested and It worked for me well.

@Ahmed Alghamdi  you should give it a try I hope you will achieve what you want.

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

Out of box Jira does not store any such transition dates.

I know of several organizations that workaround this by creating several Date customfields (e.g. "To Do Date" or "In Progress Date"), and then on each workflow transition, automatically populate the field values.

This way you can show the fields as regular columns, and hence get that overview as you mention (which looks like a filter results gadget to me, aka .csv view)

Suggest an answer