"Created vs Resolved Chart" Gadget

Miki Yuzawa October 17, 2012

Hi,

Question 1)

I am curious how "resolved" number gets calculated for "Created vs Resolved Chart" gadget in JIRA.

It seems that the number of Issue Created is correct, but not Resolved. In our project, we use customized status (e.g. "Fixed" and "Deployed") , so I was wondering I need to tweak post function or do something else…

Question 2)

Is there any way that I can add the third value in the chart? There are "Issues Created" and "Resolved" values, but I want to add another value such as "Test."

Thanks,

Miki

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Hi myjura,

Question 1

Any issue is considered resolved as long as its "Resolution" value is set or not null.

Question 2

No you can't add a third value to the "Created vd Resolved Chart"

Miki Yuzawa October 17, 2012

Hi nbhushan,

Thank you for your quick respond. Can you please tell me how to set resoution value?

Thanks,
Miki

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

If you mean setting an issue's resolution, you do have a few options.

1. Add the "Resolution" field on your "Edit Issue Screen".

2. Add the resolution field in a screen displayed during an issue transition. For example, if you take a simple workflow which has three states, open, in progress and closed, you might want to provide a screen for the transition between "In Progress" and "Closed" where a user selects the resolution of the issue before closing the issue. For example, fixed, not fixed, won't fix, etc.

3. There are also use cases where companies just treat all closed issues as fixed. In this case, you don't need to allow the user to set the resolution. Instead, you can use a workflow post-function to set the issue resolution field to "Fixed" automatically upon closing the issue.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

One minor comment, probaly, adding Resolution field to Edit screen is not a good practice. 2 or 3 can be followed.

Miki Yuzawa October 21, 2012

I see. I like the No3 idea! Thank you.

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

I understand your response to how Jira counts resolved issues ... quite straightforward ... until I try to duplicate the results with a query ... my results are always off by a few issues one way or the other. Specifically, I'm comparing the numbers displayed on the Created vs Resolved gadget. For example, right now, I have a query underlying that gadget that indicates that in the past 30 days, 150 issues have been resolved. But if I run this query: "resolutiondate < now() and resolutiondate > endOfDay(-30)" the numbers don't agree. (I've tried several variations on this using "resolution was empty ...", (-29), startOfDay, etc. ... but can never seem to find a way to reliably duplicate this gadget's calculation.

Not a huge deal since I'm in the neighborhood ... but when I have executives challenge the math, it's difficult to defend since I cannot duplicate.

Thoughts?

Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2014

Do you have issues that have been in a resolution state at some point but have transitioned back to an active state?

I've found that the created vs resolved calculates based on how many issues have a resolution value. If an issue has been "Reopened" it seems the resolution value is not cleared out so these are still calculated as resolved by the gadget.

Suggest an answer