Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

password policy allowing previous password

I dont want the users to reset password with the current password or previous passwords.

so I used the password policy in jira by setting the 

Similarity checks for 'Custom' password settings to Strict, However I am still able to set my current password when I try to reset the password. Any help is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Apr 12, 2021

Hi,

If I understand the concern here, it's that when using Jira Server and enabling a custom password policy that users can still reset their password to use the same value despite the settings in the policy.

I tried to recreate this problem in 8.16.0, but so far I have not been able to do so.  Here were my settings:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.40.14 PM.png

In my example user, I logged into Jira as that user, then went into my profile and used the changed password option.  From there I attempted reuse the exact same password, in my case this was "helloworld".  But when I tried this I got this error:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.38.16 PM.png

I would like to learn more about your environment, such as

1. Which version of Jira are you using here?,
  2. Is this a user account in the Internal Jira user directory? Or is this account in an LDAP/Crowd external user directory?
  3. Any information you can share with us about the password itself. 

I understand that you might not want to share the password publicly here in Community, but if we can understand if there is anything unique about that password such as use of a particular special character, I would be interested to try to recreate this problem so that we can better help troubleshoot this.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you