one project, two workflows, one scheme...is this possible?

Lisa Higgins March 15, 2012

I have a workflow scheme, project and workflow set up that are working. I am trying to create a new workflow for that project so that one workflow will deal with bugs only, and the other will deal with stories only. The only difference (currently) between the two will be that when moving from working to verify, stories will get one transition screen and bugs will get another. Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2012

Hello,

This is not working because my workflow is active. We have a lot of people currenlty using the workflow so I cannot inactive it to change it. Any others ways?

Thanks, I am going to try following the instructions above and see if that will help. It is not what I thought I had to do but I will try it and see if it works

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2012

You can copy the existing workflow, modify it, create a new scheme using the new/modified workflows and migrate the project from the old scheme to the new one.

Also note that, simple changes to active workflows can be done by creating a draft, modifying it and publishing it.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Editinganactiveworkflow (See also limitations - that is when you create new scheme).

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2012

Might help if you can list out what you are doing!

Thank you. I have been trying this but it is not achieving the goal I have. I am likely doing something wrong, but this is just not working for me

OK so working through the documentation, I have learned that you cannot have two schemes assigned to one project. From what I could see, the schemes were what would let you identify the issue type (story or bug). With that being said, is there another way to set up a transition, where, for a story, one screen displays, but for a bug another screen displays, all other workflow settings staying the same?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2012

That is what you will find in the first link in the Answer!

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2012

You don't need 2 schemes. What you need is a single scheme with different workflows - one for bug and another for story. You can have different screens for different workflows.

OK thanks. I am tryign to work on that now. The trouble I keep running into is how to define when a workflow only refers to stories, or only refers to bugs. That is where I keep getting stuck.

I believe you are genuinely trying to help. Unfortutely this is sending me in circles. Aside from sending a link, can you plesae explain to me what you are suggesting? I have tried creating new workflows, creating new schemes, linking them and keep getting stuck where the active workflow scheme cannot be modified because it is active, even when I make a copy. I know I am doing something wrong, but am here because I have been unable to figure out exactly what that is. Can you please tell me the steps you are suggesting? You don't have to explain them, just state something like (1) create new workflows, (2) create new schemes, (3) make copy of current workflow, etc or what the correct order of steps is that I should take?

Oh and to clarify, I am trying to copy a currently created workflow, as opposed to creating one. Perhaps this is where I am getting stuck and requesting assistance?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2012

Here are the steps:

1. Create (or copy and modify) workflows - one for each issuetype you want

2. Create a workflow scheme that is configured to use workflow 1 for bug, workflow 2 for the other issuetype and another for other issutypes and so on

3. Assign the workflow scheme to the project

Does that help?

That may! Let me try that. Thanks....

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much! Sorry it was so difficult...this is very new to me.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2012

np. Glad we finally got there :)

Zawistowski Grzegorz November 29, 2015

And how to Use the data from multi project?

Suggest an answer