jira service desk issue logged via email is being shared within organization. how to disable?

Ana Martorano August 8, 2019

We have a customer that creates Jira issues via email and would like to have them set to 'private'. By default, the issues they raise via email are shared with the entire organization, is it possible to change that without impacting all other customers in the support project? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2019

Hi,

this topic is discussed quite a lot:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Service-Desk-Set-Private-request-by-Default-and-Not-to-Share/qaq-p/869533

There are several approaches to solve it, none of them is perfect...

First, a service desk request is only shared with THE organisation, if the customer belongs to EXACTLY one organisation. If he belongs to none or two or more organisations, the issues are private by default, but can be shared with the organisations, if needed.

So, one approach would be to add the customer to two whatsoever organisations...

The other one would be to use an addon (eg. Automation for Jira (lite)) and clear the organisation field on (email) issue creation of that customer.

Does this help?

Best

JP

thanks @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ '

I will try the addon solution...

cheers

Ana.

0 votes
Deleted user August 8, 2019

If by "would like to have them set to 'private'", you mean limiting the access to those Jira Issues then....

You could work with the permissions. I would suggest creating a specific issue type for this particular customer and restricting access.

Easier approach - Create a new project to create the customers issues in. You can then user permission schemas to limit access/capabilities to a specific group AND only display that projects on boards you want to see it on. (btw, you can also control external access if you want that customer to see their requests and not any others.)

Just some initial thoughts, let me know if any might interest you.

Be happy to provide more detail...

Thank you @[deleted]

I actually mean that whenever this person raises an issue, everyone in her organizations gets notified and since she is not using the portal there is no way to 'mark' the issue as 'private request' as opposed to 'share with organization'

If I disable notifications in the project via --> Project Settings>Customer Notification, then all the customers in our project will be affected, so this poses a problem for us. thoughts?

I proposed the client a workaround, I can take her out of the organization in our Service Desk and add her as 'stand alone', disadvantage would be then that she won't get any notifications when her coworkers raise an issue.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer