how can i take 6.3 backup and import into a 7.12.3 install?

Carl Christianson November 16, 2018

So the former administrator of the 6.3 jira system is no longer with the company :( I don't have access to some parts of the system.  I *DO* have a full backup, the zip has the  activeobjects.xml and entities.xml files in it.

I spun up a new JIRA instance on a different system, version 7.12.3.  When I try to restore it tells me the backup I have is too old.

Is there an easy way around this?   Or am I stuck spinning up intermediate JIRA installs and importing/exporting?   Is there some sort of tool from atlassian that would walk the xml file and make it compatible with the newer install?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2018

I spun up a new JIRA instance on a different system, version 7.12.3. 

You must go from 6.x to 7.0; then to the latest version.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2018

Specifically, install an empty Jira 6.3 and restore the backup into it.

Then upgrade that to 6.4, then 7.0, then 7.12

Carl Christianson November 17, 2018

sorry meant to reply here.  what I did is I spun a new jira 7.0, put the backup into it that worked fine.  Then take a backup of that and pushed it into the latest.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2018

Mmm, that is very risky, and not supported!  I've seen places have problems when they don't do the recommended upgrade from 6.4 to 7.0, and these can linger, not appearing until later cycles.

The one that springs to mind was that when priority schemes were added, they cannot be enabled unless the data had gone through the 6.4 to 7.0 migration!

Carl Christianson November 19, 2018

so I could not find a 6.4 install.  on the download page it only let me download 7.0 as the oldest.   

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2018

Go to the downloads and follow the "all versions" link under the main box to get to the "archives"

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2018

@Carl Christianson

Sorry to hear about your issue. What application are you using for your user management?

Crowd? LDAP? JIRA?

I don't think the issue is related to the backup (I mean your backup missing something) you are skipping so many versions. Please make sure to read the release notes before making this huge jump.

I think you should upgrade to 1 or 2 versions before going to 7.12.3

Best,

Carl Christianson November 16, 2018

users are in jira.

the error jira gives me is.

"The xml data you are trying to import is too old to be upgraded by this version of Jira."

was hoping there was a way to not do full on intermediate  installs of jira.  but starting  to look like i will have to

Carl Christianson November 17, 2018

so first off you can not go to 6.4.  at least *I* could not find a download for that.  You can go to 7.0 though from 6.3, which I did.  Then go from that to the latest.    

Suggest an answer