hello! I need help with the original estimates for tasks on JIRA

taelor toews August 15, 2019

I can see that we can create an estimate for each task but I would like a total estimate of time for each person i've assigned multiple tasks to so for example 

Daniel is working on website design that will take 2 weeks but he's also working on Website translation which will also take 2 weeks so he is working on these simultaneously.. and then he also has 4 other tasks that will take him a couple of days 

so i want a total of all that time presented to me on his task list so i have an idea of how much time it will take... does this make sense? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2019

Hey @taelor toews

This is definitely possible! While in project, select the reports section from the side menu. Once you are on the reports screen, you can scroll to the bottom to the Forecasts and Management section and use the User Workload Report. This will generate a report on all unresolved issues and it will show the time estimates assigned to a user.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.13.44 PM.png

hey thanks for replying so quickly! but I'm having a hard time finding the "reports" screen 

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2019

No worries, I'm here to help! While in project, its in the left navigation menu. Heres a screenshot of what it looks like! Your menu may have less or more options depending on what type of project you have but the symbol will be the same!

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.21.59 PM.png

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2019

Also I don't know if you are on cloud or server but here is a link to an Atlassian article on reporting. The link is to cloud but you can switch it to server if you are using that!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/reporting-764478415.html

I use cloud Jira and this is all i see on the side.. i even went through all of them and didnt see reports Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.32.58 PM.png

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2019

The menu you screenshotted is the navigation menu outside of a project. You need to select the project itself and then a new menu will be presented to you. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like on cloud.

Sometimes when you select a project, it automatically loads you in the issues and filters view. If it does, at the top of the menu will be a back to project button. That will then display a menu like this.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.45.04 PM.png

taelor toews August 29, 2019

oops. ok!! like this ?

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.55.53 PM.png

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2019

Hey @taelor toews

Exactly! Then you would click the reports tab and find the User Workload Report.

taelor toews September 10, 2019

ok and what's next after this?Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 3.27.44 PM.png

can I have more than one user? or do I have to change the user everytime I need to see their report 

And can I view it on the project page or do I need to go to this page specifically ... 

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

Hey @taelor toews 

It is only for one user at a time. Another way you could do it is by using the Workload Pie Chart Report. That would show all users in a single pie chart. You can only view these reports via that screen and you have to run it each time.

It would look something like the screenshot below. I would take a look at all the reports in the Forcast & Management section. Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.45.58 AM.png

The best way to do it so you don't have to manage it would be to use the Workload Pie Chart Gadget in a dashboard. The image below shows the settings for that and it would automatically refresh for you. The report itself would look like the image above.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.47.58 AM.png

taelor toews September 11, 2019

ok! thank you very very much for all your help. 

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

Of course! If that answered your question, please mark it as answered so this thread can be marked as answered.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events