• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • deleted a custom field and some how because this had the same name as another custom field this deleted options in another custom field

deleted a custom field and some how because this had the same name as another custom field this deleted options in another custom field

Fiona Gallagher June 25, 2013

I cannot restore as I will lose a full days work what can I do can you call me please immediately on 0860630718

I had one custom field that was called "FSiAvailability Section" and was a multiselect custom field

but I then decided they would look better in a cascading select custom field so I created another custom field called Test FSiAvailability Section to hold the same values that were in the multiselect.
Some how after I spent 2 days setting all the values of the multiselect to none, and at the same time setting the value of the cascading select to the same Value that the multiselect stored.

Before I deleted the Multiselect custom field which contained no values, I then renamed the cascading select custom field to the same name as the other custom field i.e. FSiAvailability Section, deleted the multiselect custom field, this some how deleted all the options and values of the cascading select

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2013

You might want to raise this as a proper support call if you need full support - we're just a community of end-users. We'd love to help, but we are not support.

I'm afraid though, it sounds like you picked the wrong field when you hit "delete" - even if fields have the same name, they aren't related, it's all done on unique IDs in the database.

I'm also afraid there's not a lot of choice about restoring the data. I would NOT restore directly, but I would fire up a dev/test Jira, restore it in there and then use it to work out where you've removed the data from the issues, then you'll be able to put it back (I'd use bulk edit for this, or even think about Jelly scripting)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2013

Ah, yes, well done.

The application caches data while it's running, so if you mess with the database, it doesn't pick up changes. Adding an option via the UI prompts it to reread everything

Generally, if you're going to use SQL to amend Jira data, it's essential that you shut it down first. In the case of field options, you might get away with it!

0 votes
Fiona Gallagher June 26, 2013

I managed to resolve this by adding a new option inteh application this gave me a new custom field config value, when I then reset all my old valoues with the new custom field config value all the old values were restored to the new cascading select custom field

0 votes

I just told all my users to stop using the system until further notice

0 votes

No it wasnt off line should i restart? and yes i did it with the field values also

0 votes

I restored this mornings database copy to a test jira application, opened the sql database and copied the values from the test databse tables over to my live jira database tables in microsoft sql server , using copy and paste

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2013

You did have Jira offline when you did this for the options?

More importantly, did you do this with the field values for issues as well?

0 votes

I am tring to copy over some of the deleted values from a restore on my test system to my live syste, i copied over custom field value and custom field option for the deleted custom field, but the system is not recognising them. I think this is something to do with custom field config any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2013

How are you doing the copy? Have you started with the list of options for the field before starting on the issues?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events