confluence password change in jira embedded crowd not possible for confluence-only users

Bernhard Anzeletti October 12, 2018

Dear fellow atlassian fans, 

the company I work for uses JIRA Server 500 users and Confluence Server 2000 users (which reflects our usage pattern). We use JIRA embedded Crowd "native" (no LDAP,... integration). The confluence users are in a seperate group called "confluence-users".

* Now "confluence-only" users cannot change their passwords anymore. In particular, it seems as if a JIRA user is required just to access the JIRA embedded crowd.

* Is it true that only registered JIRA users (members of jira-users) have access to their user management in JIRA embedded crowd? Or did I miss something?

Any hint welcome!

Kind regards,Bernhard

PS Of course, we could extend the JIRA licence to 2000 users as well or buy a crowd server licence - but I do not see a real "business need" for that further to password management, which would be quite an "overkill" (and will certainly not be well received by budget owners).

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2018

What steps are your users trying to follow to change their passwords?

Given what I know about your setup, I don't have an expectation that Confluence users will be able to change their passwords from Confluence itself.   In this kind of configuration, Confluence is technically using external user directory (Jira) and as a result the Forgot password link would not appear in Confluence.  This is detailed in the KB Forgot Password and Self-Service Reset Password Missing or Not Visible

That's actually expected behavior since the Confluence application is not in control of the user's accounts, but instead Jira is.

Also, I don't expect these users to be able to login to Jira, since they are not granted application access.  But I agree that these users shouldn't have to have a Jira license seat to be able to change their password.

That said, I would still expect that these users could use the "Forgot password" link on the Jira login page in order to reset their password.   Once completed, they should then be able to use that password to login to Confluence.

Does this help?

If you find this is not the case in your environment, could you please let me know what versions of each application you are using?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events