chanched postgres collation from en_US.UTF-8 to C - Problem with öäü possible?

Günther Weissenfeldt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2018

Hi there,

I migrated Jira 6.1.x (db=oracle;server) to  6.4.14(postgres) to 7.13(postgres) and after install i got the warning 'unsupported collation'. We use en_US.TF-8 for DB

I therefore  migarted the DB to a new  DB with Collation C. 

CREATE DATABASE jiradb WITH ENCODING 'UNICODE' LC_COLLATE 'C' LC_CTYPE 'C' TEMPLATE template0;

But is it really necessary if we do not use Amazon AWS RDS?

Could there be a Problem with umlauts  äöü with Collation C?
Or is a other collation better?

Thanks, kind regards

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2018

You should follow the character set recommendations in the Jira database setup guide for your database technology. This is what is tested and supported.  At best, everything will work properly and you get the nag message every time you log in when you use an unsupported character set.  I've seen cases where the collation is not set correctly and users have added content using characters not supported by the collation character set that have resulted in garbage being stored in the database and the data being lost.  You really should use the correct character set collation.

Günther Weissenfeldt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2018

Okay, i will do that!

Thank you

Suggest an answer