can we able to remove the /opt/atlassian/jira/temp/ files or not?

Maury April 6, 2021

I have a Data Center with 2 servers / nodes, in Node2 I have a filesystem alarm in / opt / atlassian / jira / temp
And inside that directory there are files snapshot *, temporary_ * .part, plugin_ * .obr, plugin_ * .jar,
jruby- * and JIRA-avatar * .png

My question is, can these files be deleted with Jira stopped in that Node2 or should the entire application be stopped in both Nodes to free up space?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

Mauricio

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2021

These are local to the node in question, so you can stop a node and remove them.

The question is "why" though?  What are you trying to achieve by deleting these files?

Maury April 10, 2021

Hi Nic;

The question is that I get the typical alarm of a possible problem in the indexing in the Troubleshooting and support tools section.
And that is the reason for wanting to delete the files within that directory, the option to expand the FileSystem, currently in our Jira is not viable.

On the other hand thanks for the answer.

Best regards.

By the way, we have a couple of adaptive plug-ins installed in our Jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2021

Ok, the temp directory has nothing to do with indexing so you're not going to fix anything by doing this.  But it won't do any harm either.

Michael Aglas September 22, 2021

But Jira is telling so:

Low disk space on device containing temporary directory (/usr/local/jira/temp) - 1 GB of free space remaining. Index backup and recovery may fail.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2021

That doesn't have a lot to do with deleting files from temporary spaces.  

The message is telling you that the system is low on space on the disk that holds the temporary directories.  You need to fix that by giving it more space or deleting other stuff.

If you just clear out the temp directory, yes, you'll reclaim the disk space.  Then when you restart Jira, it will just recreate most, if not all, of the files you deleted, because it needs them to work.

You need to give it more disk space in another way.

Mike DESILE Positive August 18, 2022

Hi there,

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , i understand that JIRA sometimes needs to recreate some temporary files for his need but why should we keep many versions of plugin install or some "xls" extraction files that user receive.

The more important thing to know is : Is there a risk to delete thoses files.

Add some disk space is a solution but did not respond to the fact : is JIRA still needs those files ?

In my opinion, and as it is mentionned here (Important directory and files), it's allowed to purge some tmp files...

SY

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

The question wasn't about risks of deleting all temporary files, it was about some very specific types, and my answer stands.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events