Writing and reading API issue objects to/from file

Tina May 10, 2024

In my program, I am processing issues from jira. 

I wanted to add an extra step to save all of my issues in a yaml file and then, when needed read them again. I am storing the original com.atlassian.jira.rest.client.api.domain.Issue objects in the yaml file (that is why I am using object mappers), since I need them later again as issues.
However, reading these objects seems to be difficult. 

These are my methods for saving the issues and reading them:

private static void saveIssuesToYAMLFile(List<IssueissuesString yamlPaththrows IOException {

ObjectMapper mapper = new ObjectMapper(new YAMLFactory().disable(Feature.WRITE_DOC_START_MARKER));

mapper.registerModule(new JodaModule());

try(BufferedWriter writer = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(yamlPath, true))) {

mapper.writeValue(writer, issues);    

}

}

private static List<IssuereadIssuesFromYAMLFile(String yamlPaththrows IOException {

ObjectMapper mapper = new ObjectMapper(new YAMLFactory().disable(Feature.WRITE_DOC_START_MARKER));

mapper.registerModule(new JodaModule());

return mapper.readValue(new File(yamlPath), mapper.getTypeFactory().constructCollectionType(List.classIssue.class));

}

When I try to read the file I get this error:

com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.InvalidDefinitionException: Cannot construct instance of `com.atlassian.jira.rest.client.api.domain.Issue` (no Creators, like default constructor, exist): cannot deserialize from Object value (no delegate- or property-based Creator)

at [Source: (File); line: 1, column: 3] (through reference chain: java.util.ArrayList[0])

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.InvalidDefinitionException.from(InvalidDefinitionException.java:67)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.DeserializationContext.reportBadDefinition(DeserializationContext.java:1887)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.DatabindContext.reportBadDefinition(DatabindContext.java:414)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.DeserializationContext.handleMissingInstantiator(DeserializationContext.java:1375)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.BeanDeserializerBase.deserializeFromObjectUsingNonDefault(BeanDeserializerBase.java:1508)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.BeanDeserializer.deserializeFromObject(BeanDeserializer.java:348)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.BeanDeserializer.deserialize(BeanDeserializer.java:185)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.std.CollectionDeserializer._deserializeFromArray(CollectionDeserializer.java:361)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.std.CollectionDeserializer.deserialize(CollectionDeserializer.java:246)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.std.CollectionDeserializer.deserialize(CollectionDeserializer.java:30)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.deser.DefaultDeserializationContext.readRootValue(DefaultDeserializationContext.java:342)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectMapper._readMapAndClose(ObjectMapper.java:4905)

at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectMapper.readValue(ObjectMapper.java:3753)

at com.jira.jirarestclient.issues.Search.readIssuesFromYAMLFile(SearchClient.java:19)

at com.jira.jirarestclient.issues.Search.readIssuesFromJQL(SearchClient.java:109)

at com.jira.App.main(App.java:7)

Because issue does not seem to have constructors, so remapping is difficult. Does anyone know a workaround or even another file method I can save my issues and read them again? 
Saving them as strings or writing my own constructor seems to be my last plan, but I am already processing the issues further a lot and I do not want to change my whole code. 

1 answer

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2024

Hi @Tina 

This type of question,as it's more developer related I would recommend posting to the developer community: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/

The developer community will have people with more development knowledge rather than atlassian knowledge. There are some developers on here, just not as many as there

Best,

Clark

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events