Workflow question

Hi All

In our current bug traking software we have a fairly traditional work flow. Bugs are assigned to devs for fixing and in a seperate field to testers for validating. I am wondering what the best way to implement this is in JIRA. There is a assignee field which I guess can be used to assigne to different people at different points in the bug lifecycle... I am assuming I can still determine who has worked on a bug... is that true? OR should I create a new field to list testers seperately.

I guess a follow on question is can you limit who can be an assignee at different points in teh lifecycle such that when marked for fixing only Devs names are avaialable or when marked for validation only testers names appear.

Many thanks

Nick

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Jira has the concept of groups. You can create a qa group and a dev group. My suggestion is to add a state transition for the qa step. The online documentation covers how to modify a workflow.

Here is one of the many online links on creating custom workflows.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Creating+a+Custom+Workflow

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 10, 2012

Hi Nick,

we have a project role "developers" and another role "testers" and control the visibility of the steps with workflow conditions. So some steps can only be seen by testers, others only by developers.

In the issue history, you can always see, which developer fixed a bug, even it is now assigned to a tester for validating it. You don't need a second field.

Best regards

Thomas

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,594 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you