Why is Portfolio scheduling small low-ranked tasks in the middle of my schedule?

Ollie Purkiss
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 28, 2017

I've got a simple Portfolio setup with all issues assigned to people, given a release, estimated and appropriately ranked, so I'm hoping to be able to control the position of issues quite tightly. I've got most issues where I want them, but there are a few which are oddly scheduled.

Here is a snippet from the next few days of one of my developer's schedule:

PortfolioOddness.PNG

The tasks on the top row are two one day tasks, followed by a two day task (the gap in the middle is the weekend). All those tasks are from the current release, high ranking, and with medium or high priority. The three tasks underneath are all half-day tasks from the next release with a much lower rank, and a low priority.

There are two problems / questions here.

Firstly, why are the bottom row issues scheduled for now? By all the metrics I can find (release, rank, priority) they should appear after the top row tasks.

Secondly, what is this schedule actually suggesting? The first one-day task is scheduled to start on the 28th and end on the 29th, the first half-day tasks is scheduled to start and end on the 29th. The second one-day task is scheduled to start on the 30th and end on the 1st, and the second half-day tasks is scheduled to start and end on the 1st. I don't understand how that will work, and it seems like three days worth of tasks (two one-days and two half-days) are scheduled over four days (28th, 29th, 30th and 1st).

Any help would be gratefully received.

0 answers

Suggest an answer